Last night zero strikes

  • narodaleahcim@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 25, 2005
      which was quite different from when Charley hit with 60k strikes the
      night before landfall.

      Article published Jan 25, 2005
      Scientific jury, although not public one, still out on Hurricane
      Charley

      Hurricane Charley may go down as one of the four most powerful storms
      in modern U.S. history.

      In the past 100 years, only three Category 5 hurricanes with
      sustained winds greater than 155 mph have made landfall.

      They were the 1935 Labor Day hurricane, which hit the Florida Keys;
      Camille, which struck Mississippi in 1969; and Andrew, which wracked
      Dade County in 1992.

      Officially, Charley has been classified as a Category 4 storm with
      winds of 131-155 mph.

      That could change as scientists collect and analyze the data,
      according to Wayne Salladé, director of emergency management for
      Charlotte County.

      He said Charley registered winds of 173 mph in Punta Gorda and 165
      mph at the Charlotte County Airport, but he doesn't know if the
      velocity held for at least a minute to meet the threshold for
      upgrading the storm.

      It took 10 years for meteorologists to recognize the severity of
      Andrew's winds, Salladé said Monday morning at an appearance before
      the West Charlotte County Civic Association.

      For perspective, the winds in a Category 5 hurricane are 100 times
      more powerful than those of a Category 1 (74-95 mph) and likely to
      cause 250 times the damage, Salladé said.

      But Charley's wind speed is a cerebral discussion anyway. Those of us
      who lived through the Aug. 13 storm and continue to live with its
      aftermath have had to come to grips with more relevant numbers. In
      Charlotte County:

      n6,000 mobile homes destroyed;

      n3,000 conventional homes destroyed;

      n27,000 roofs damaged or destroyed;

      n41,000 pool cages damaged or destroyed.

      Damage statewide added up to $3.2 billion.

      Take a slow drive down U.S. 41. On the west side, from Murdock to
      Charlotte Harbor, about 60 percent of the businesses are gone,
      Salladé said. That's a lot of jobs lost and lives altered.

      Eight schools sustained substantial damage. Four -- Neil Armstrong,
      East and Peace River elementary schools, and Charlotte High School --
      have to be torn down and rebuilt.

      The county lost four fire stations, including a new one in Deep Creek
      where the department kept its most expensive equipment and where
      firefighters' families had flocked for safety.

      Even so, things could have been a lot worse, Salladé said.

      Really.

      For all its severity, Charley was a small hurricane, with the
      smallest eye -- five miles wide -- ever to hit the United States,
      Salladé said.

      It pushed a 7-foot storm surge. In a larger storm, winds of 155 mph
      could carry a 16- to 18-foot surge. If so, Charlotte's death toll
      probably would exceed the four inflicted by Charley.

      "You know the tsunami? That's a storm surge. And that's how fast it
      can be pushed in by the right storm," Salladé said. "People don't
      realize how much worse it would have been if Charley had been a
      Jeanne or a Frances or an Ivan."

      Hurricane season reopens in about four months. Salladé would like to
      see at least two reactions from Charley:

      nAn advance in technology to explain how the storm's winds
      intensified so quickly from 105 to 150 mph. "Earth gives us reasons.
      There's a reason. We gotta know why," Salladé said.

      nSubstantial discounts by insurance companies to policyholders who
      strap their roofs, reinforce their garage doors and install stronger
      windows or shutters.

      On an individual level, Salladé continues to advise residents to
      correct their homes' structural weaknesses, to buy adequate insurance
      coverage and to stock up on camping supplies in preparation for loss
      of electricity and water service.

      After what we've seen with Charley, he says, "Shame on you if you
      don't."

      http://www.heraldtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?
      AID=/20050125/COLUMNIST17/501250386
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 26, 2005
        > For all its severity, Charley was a small hurricane, with the
        > smallest eye -- five miles wide -- ever to hit the United States,
        > Salladé said.

        If memory serves, Andrew was also a fairly compact storm. I wonder if
        that's an inherent property of the "super hurricanes." Do you have
        any information on Camille's size?