    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 20, 2004
      Well now, things have ddefinitely gotten more active since my last
      report, and there has even been a significant flare! There are now
      six small sunspot regions visible. Four of the six are almost right
      on the solar equator, which is what you would expect to see during
      this time of the sunspot cycle. Sunspot region 687, which has very
      recently rotated into view, fired off a nice M2.6 flare earlier today.
      Despite being a short-duration event, there was a CME associated with
      it. The CME did not, however, appear to be earth-directed. In
      addition to the sunspots, there is also a small coronal hole that is
      in an earth-pointing position. We might see some mild solar wind
      gusts from it on the 22nd or the 23rd. Sunspot regions 687 and 682
      have the potential for generating a significant flare.

      Solar wind desnity : 5.6 protons/cc

      IMF Orientation : 0.7 nT South

      GOES-12 Background X-ray Flux level : B2

      Conditions for the last 24 hours :
      Space weather for the past 24 hours has been minor. Radio blackouts
      reaching the R1 level occurred.

      Forecast for the next 24 hours :
      Space weather for the next 24 hours is expected to be minor.
      Radio blackouts reaching the R1 level are expected.

      Solar activity forecast :
      Solar activity is expected to be at low to moderate levels. Region 682
      and 687 both have a fair potential for the production of isolated
      M-class flare activity.

      Geomagnetic activity forecast :
      The geomagnetic field is expected to be at quiet to unsettled levels
      throughout the period.

      20-Oct-2004 1051Z M2.6