Re: Ivan landfalls

  • mike@usinter.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 17, 2004
      Yes, I saw that. The first page image is of Ivan flooding inland.
      What is interesting is in the tail feeder band that extends all the
      way to Galvanston Texas from Florida, there is an 'eye' in the tail.
      (The image was created as a joke for a friend). That eye and low are
      not the same, because warm saltwater is much more conductive than
      land, and a capacitive coupling occurs between ionosphere and Gulf,
      but not over the low. Such is the dynamics of landfalling eyewall
      dynamics.

      And such was the dynamic of Allison, which sat as a low over Texas,
      but still electrically kept the WGOM full of high cirrus and feeder
      bands.

      > At any rate, I did manage to find one satellite image of
      landfalling Ivan.

      http://www.osei.noaa.gov/Events/Tropical/Gulf_Mexico/2004/TRCIvan260_G
      12L.jpg