Solat Activity Report for 9/11/04

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 11, 2004
      There hasn't been any activity to speak of since my last report, that
      is until just a little while ago. As I write this, there is a
      long-duration M-class flare in progress. It looks to be about an M-5
      or so. There's no official word of the origin of the flare yet, but I
      suspect that it came from sunspot region 672, which has recently
      emerged over the eastern limb of the solar disk. Analysis of the SOHO
      satellite coronagraph imagery over the next day or two will tell
      whether or not there is a CME from the flare headed our way. Stay tuned.

      Solar wind pressure : n/a

      IMF : 8.6 nT
      IMF Otientation : 1.5 nT North

      GOES-12 Background X-ray Flux level : B3

      Conditions for the last 24 hours :
      Space weather for the past 24 hours has been minor. Radio blackouts
      reaching the R1 level occurred.

      Forecast for the next 24 hours :
      Space weather for the next 24 hours is expected to be minor. Radio
      blackouts reaching the R1 level are expected.

      Solar activity forecast :
      Solar activity is expected to be at predominantly low levels
      throughout the period. There is a slight chance for an isolated
      M-class event from Region 672.

      Geomagnetic activity forecast :
      The geomagnetic field is expected to be at quiet to unsettled levels
      throughout the period.

      M-5 flare in progress. Watch this space for more information
      regarding exact intensity and times.