    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 30, 2004
      ** G-2 Geomagnetic Storm in Progress **
      ** Aurora Watch In Effect **

      Well folks, this one sure caught me by surprise. To tell you the
      truth, I'm having trouble figuring out exactly which flare caused
      this. There was a C2.8 flare early on the 30th, but if a CME from
      that is already here, it got here in one heck of a big hurry. More
      likely, a CME came from an event on the 27th or 28th, and the space
      weather folks do mention an erupting prominence on the 27th. At any
      rate, keep an eye out for aurora tonight if you're in the higher
      latitudes. A south-pointing interplanetary magnetic field is in
      place, and probably enhancing the geomagnetic activity. I woudn't
      expect this to last very long, and there are no big sunspots visible.
      In fact, the solar disk is almost blank.

      Solar wind pressure : n/a

      IMF : 8.9 nT
      IMF Orientation : 4.7 nT South

      GOES-12 Background X-ray Flux level : B1

      Conditions for the last 24 hours :
      Space weather for the past 24 hours has been minor. Geomagnetic storms
      reaching the G1 level occurred.

      Forecast for the next 24 hours :
      Space weather for the next 24 hours is expected to be minor.
      Geomagnetic storms reaching the G1 level are expected.

      Solar activity forecast :
      Solar activity is expected to be very low to low. Region 663 may
      produce C-class flares.

      Geomagnetic activity forecast :
      Geomagnetic activity is expected to be quiet to unsettled for the next
      three days. Active conditions are possible early on day one (31 Aug)
      due to residual effects from the CME shock observed 30 Aug.

      Recent significant solar flare actviity :
      None
    • mike@usinter.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 1, 2004
        This is going to be interesting in conjunction with Frances.