Re: Solar Activity Report for 8/4/04

  • XK SAZ
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 5, 2004
      How do you tell it is holding together on the back side of the sun??

      Sunspot region 649, which unleashed X-class flares the
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 6, 2004
        --- In methanehydrateclub@yahoogroups.com, "XK SAZ" <swezlex1@y...> wrote:
        > How do you tell it is holding together on the back side of the sun??

        I just look at the SOHO satellite images on SPACEWEATHER.COM! Ohh,
        I'll bet you meant how can anybody tell, didn't you? ;-)

        The Solar and Heliospheric Observatory (SOHO) spacecraft has an
        instrument on board called the Michelson-Doppler Imager (MDI). The
        MDI can detect movements in the "surface" of the sun. Now obviously,
        the sun doesn't have a solid surface. When I say "surface," I really
        mean what we see as the visible surface, or the photosphere. Hold
        that thought.

        Did you know the sun makes noise? It does. The sun is a vibrating
        ball of sound waves. It isn't sound you could hear, though. The
        sound waves that travel though the sun have a period of around 5
        minutes. The sound we humans hear have a period much, much shorter
        than that. Still, though, it is sound, albeit it as very low
        frequency. Enter the field of study known as helioseismology. In
        much the same way that terrestrial scientists use the vibrations of
        earthquakes to probe the Earth's interior, solar scientists can do the
        same thing for the sun.

        Now obviously, you can't put any detection equipment on the sun, so
        how do they do that? By analyzing the movements in the photospere
        that the sound waves cause. Remember the MDI?

        Now for the sunspot part. It is known that intense magnetic fields on
        the sun, such as those associated with sunspots, cause variations in
        the way that sound waves travel through the sun. By analyzing
        photosphere movements with SOHO's MDI instrument, scientists can tell
        where the intense magnetic fields are on the other side of the sun.
        Where you find strong magnetic fields, you'll find sunspots.

        The technology isn't perfect, but it does a pretty good job of
        detecting large sunspots with strong magnetic fields. See this link
        for more info : http://www.spaceweather.com/glossary/farside.html
      • XK SAZ
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 6, 2004
          WOW that is so cool. Thats like telling where an island is on the
          other side of a planet just from water waves.

          >http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/star_quakes_40728.html
          They posted this article on spicules not too long ago. Imagine how
          loud it would be if the sound could get out!