    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 19, 2004
      The last few days have been interesting, with a steady stream of M and
      X class flares. The sunspot number is higher than I've seen it in a
      while, thanks mainly to sunspot region 652, which is quie large, and
      easily naked-eye visible. Most of the flare activity, however, has
      come from sunspot region 649. Both of these sunspot regions have
      magnetic configurations that make them candidates for more big flares,
      although things have been relatively quiet for the last 24 hours.
      There could be some geomagnetic activity on the 20th and 21st that
      would be associated with the recent flares.

      IMF Orientation : 0.0 nT (neutral)

      GOES-12 Background X-ray Flux level : B8

      Space weather for the next 24 hours is expected to be moderate. Radio
      blackouts reaching the R2 level are expected.

      Solar activity forecast :
      Solar activity is expected to be at moderate to high levels. Regions
      649 and 652 both remain capable of producing isolated major flare
      activity.

      Geomagnetic activity forecast :
      The geomagnetic field is expected to be at predominantly unsettled
      levels. Isolated active levels are possible with the potential of
      transient activity on 20 and 21 July due to the recent major flares
      from Region 649.

      18-Jul-2004 1713Z M1.9
      18-Jul-2004 0257Z M1.5
      18-Jul-2004 0035Z M2.0
      17-Jul-2004 2308Z M1.1
      17-Jul-2004 2131Z M2.0
      17-Jul-2004 1651Z M2.5
      17-Jul-2004 0757Z X1.0
      16-Jul-2004 1628Z M1.2
      16-Jul-2004 1355Z X3.6
      16-Jul-2004 1041Z X1.1
      16-Jul-2004 0206Z X1.3
    • XK SAZ
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 20, 2004
        The sun looks like it has a giant eye on it.
        Does anyone else have the SOHO screensaver. They made one for OSX and Linux finally.
        http://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/freestuff/index.html
        Today it looks like lasco c3 is mixed up with an overexposed lasco c2. Is this a software
        problem?

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 20, 2004
          > Today it looks like lasco c3 is mixed up with an overexposed lasco
          c2. Is this a software
          > problem?

          I don't know what causes that. It may be software.