Hurricanes help the ocean bloom

    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 17, 2004
      RELEASE: 04-193

      NASA DATA SHOWS HURRICANES HELP PLANTS BLOOM IN "OCEAN DESERTS"

      Whenever a hurricane races across the Atlantic Ocean, chances are
      phytoplankton will bloom behind it. According to a new study using
      NASA satellite data, these phytoplankton blooms may also affect the
      Earth's climate and carbon cycle.

      Dr. Steven Babin, a researcher at the Johns Hopkins University Applied
      Physics Laboratory in Laurel, Md., studied 13 North Atlantic
      hurricanes between 1998 and 2001. Ocean color data from the SeaWiFS
      instrument on the SeaStar satellite were used to analyze levels of
      chlorophyll, the green pigment in plants. The satellite images showed
      tiny microscopic ocean plants, called phytoplankton, bloomed
      following the storms.

      "Some parts of the ocean are like deserts, because there isn't enough
      food for many plants to grow. A hurricane's high winds stir up the
      ocean waters and help bring nutrients and phytoplankton to the
      surface, where they get more sunlight, allowing the plants to bloom,"
      Babin said.

      Previous research has relied largely on sporadic, incomplete data from
      ships to understand how and when near-surface phytoplankton bloom.
      "This effect of hurricanes in ocean deserts has not been seen before.
      We believe it is the first documented satellite observation of this
      phenomenon in the wake of hurricanes," Babin noted. "Because 1998 was
      the first complete Atlantic hurricane season observed by this
      instrument, we first noticed this effect in late 1998 after looking at
      hurricane Bonnie," Babin said.

      The study found the physical make-up of a storm, including its size,
      strength and forward speed, is directly related to the amount of
      phytoplankton that blooms. Bigger storms appear to cause larger
      phytoplankton blooms. Larger phytoplankton should have more
      chlorophyll, which satellite sensors can see.

      Hurricane-induced upwelling, the rising of cooler nutrient-rich water
      to the ocean surface, is also critical in phytoplankton growth. For
      two to three weeks following almost every storm, the satellite data
      showed phytoplankton growth. Babin and his colleagues believe it was
      stimulated by the addition of nutrients brought up to the surface.

      Whenever the quantity of plants increases or decreases, it affects the
      amount of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. As phytoplankton grow,
      they absorb carbon dioxide, a heat-trapping greenhouse gas. The gas is
      carried to the ocean floor as a carbon form when the tiny plants die.
      This enables atmospheric carbon to get into the deep ocean. It is one
      of several natural processes that contribute to Earth's carbon cycle.

      By stimulating these phytoplankton blooms, hurricanes can affect the
      ecology of the upper ocean. Phytoplankton is at the bottom of the food
      chain. The factors that influence their growth also directly affect
      the animals and organisms that feed on them. In addition, since
      climate-related phenomena like El Niño may change the frequency and
      intensity of hurricanes, storm-induced biological activity may have
      even greater contributions to future climate change.

      Scientists are still trying to determine how much carbon dioxide might
      be removed from such a process. "Better knowledge of the carbon cycle
      will improve our understanding of global ecology and how climate
      change might affect us," Babin said.

      The research appeared as a paper in a recent issue of the Journal of
      Geophysical Research-Oceans. Study co-authors include J.A. Carton,
      University of Maryland, College Park, Md.; T.D. Dickey, Ocean Physics
      Laboratory, University of California, Santa Barbara, Calif.; and J.D.
      Wiggert, Center for Coastal Physical Oceanography, Old Dominion
      University, Norfolk, Va.

      NASA's Earth Science Enterprise funded part of the research. The
      Enterprise is dedicated to understanding the Earth as an integrated
      system and applying Earth System Science to improve climate, weather,
      and natural hazard prediction using the unique vantage point of space.

      For information and images about this research on the Internet, visit:

      http://www.gsfc.nasa.gov/topstory/2004/0602hurricanebloom.htm
    • mike@usinter.net
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 18, 2004
        Really cool article. I think it is only a matter of time before
        these macrobiological behaviors start to become more generally
        recognized as the gaia we're describing here at this club. Just
        think, our science here might be two or three years ahead of the
        mainstream's!

        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 18, 2004
          --- In methanehydrateclub@yahoogroups.com, mike@u... wrote:
          > Really cool article. I think it is only a matter of time before
          > these macrobiological behaviors start to become more generally
          > recognized as the gaia we're describing here at this club. Just
          > think, our science here might be two or three years ahead of the
          > mainstream's!

          Does that mean somebody will give us a bunch of money? ;-)
        • Steve Dodd
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 19, 2004
            On Sat, Jun 19, 2004 at 05:10:48AM -0000, David wrote:
            > --- In methanehydrateclub@yahoogroups.com, mike@u... wrote:

            > > Really cool article. I think it is only a matter of time before
            > > these macrobiological behaviors start to become more generally
            > > recognized as the gaia we're describing here at this club. Just
            > > think, our science here might be two or three years ahead of the
            > > mainstream's!

            > Does that mean somebody will give us a bunch of money? ;-)

            I gather the normal procedure is for people to rip off your work without
            giving you any credit at all.. because if you're not working for some
            vast bureaucratic research foundation, you can't possibly know what
            you're talking about, can you?

            <s>, having a "cynical moment"

            --
            Home+FOAF: http://www.loth.org.uk/ * PGP: 201A57B6 * Original portions
            © 2004 Steve Dodd * "I'm not falling apart, I'm coming together." *

            "If you don't pay your exorcist, you get repossessed."
          • mike@usinter.net
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 20, 2004
              In a sense all greatness extends from the visions upon giant's
              shoulders. It is hardly insulting to me if we were giants in our day.

              --- In methanehydrateclub@yahoogroups.com, Steve Dodd <steved@l...>

              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 21, 2004
                On Sun, Jun 20, 2004 at 11:24:40PM -0000, mike@... wrote:

                > In a sense all greatness extends from the visions upon giant's
                > shoulders. It is hardly insulting to me if we were giants in our day.

                This is true.. I guess there's a difference between wanting
                ackowledgement as "egoboo", and just wanting to be kept in the loop
                about future developments..

                BTW, have you ever seen the Organelle website? It's intriguing - the
                language can be a little dense in a places, but definitely worth making
                an effort over IMHO:

                Organelle
                <http://www.organelle.org/>

                --
                Home+FOAF: http://www.loth.org.uk/ * PGP: 201A57B6 * Original portions
                © 2004 Steve Dodd * "I'm not falling apart, I'm coming together." *
                Appreciated this message? - http://www.loth.org.uk/tipjar/ * PNAMBC *

                "We take the very best of what people do, synthesise it down, make it
                learnable and share it with each other - and that is what the real
                future of what NLP will be and its gonna stay that way!"
                -- Richard Bandler
              • mike@usinter.net
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 21, 2004
                  What's interesting about that site is like Dave and I have been
                  posting with his focus on the sun and my focus on the earth, and
                  hence looking at an interaction between the two celestial bodies from
                  a different perspective. A perspective that is fundimentally about
                  thermodynamics--from an electrical and biological view.

                  Even the topic of hydrates has not been seen by the research
                  communicty as electrical (gas exchange and direct current
                  resistances) and macro biological . . . and the hydrate role in both
                  aspects are probably one of the most fundimental in abiogenesis.
                  This, I suppose, has further focused our group and made it what it
                  is, realtime cutting edge science that has universiality in its
                  themes and cross topics.