Re: Nuclear power and cancer

  • Steve Dodd
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 29 11:12 AM
      On Thu, Apr 29, 2004 at 04:59:14PM -0000, XK SAZ wrote:

      > People who don't believe in the dangers of radiation poisoning and
      > nuclear proliferation probably mean well. No one likes to look at the
      > world as a dangerous place where governments hide things that are bad
      > for our health.
      [..]

      No, and I don't think many on this list are likely to claim that big
      business and politicans aren't a bunch of lying, conniving scum-bags :)

      The mistake you must not make is to assume that nuclear power is
      inherently evil because it is advocated by some of these people
      (presumably the ones who aren't bankrolled by the oil companies..).

      It's based on science that we, as a society, happen to understand pretty
      well. It can be managed well, or it can be managed badly. It has
      advantages and disadvantages, and I'll admit that some of the
      disadvantages - the waste disposal problem - are huge, and pose a
      problem that'll be around for millenia. But if we're going to argue
      about it, can we use facts and critical thinking?

      --
      Home+FOAF: http://www.loth.org.uk/ OpenPGP: 201A57B6
      Original portions © 2004 Steve Dodd

      "The man dies in all who keep silent in the face of tyranny."
      -- Wole Soyinka
    • kirkmcloren
      Message 2 of 3 , May 23, 2004
        The mistake you must not make is to assume that nuclear power is
        > inherently evil because it is advocated by some of these people
        > (presumably the ones who aren't bankrolled by the oil companies..).

        Actually that is a major problem. If we could rely on them doing the
        right thing when there is an accident we could then concentrate on
        procedures, planning and training. Unfortunately deception is all too
        common. I know personally of 2 occasions when truth was a casualty.

        Kirk

        --- In methanehydrateclub@yahoogroups.com, Steve Dodd <steved@l...>