Re: [Methane Hydrate Club] Digest Number 547

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 27 4:31 PM
      --- In methanehydrateclub@yahoogroups.com, "XK SAZ" <swezlex1@y...> wrote:
      > What do you think these people who live close to the plants are
      faking cancer?

      No. Neither have I seen a study that irrefutibly creates a causal
      link between the two. How do you know there might not be some other
      environmental factor responsible?

      > Do you think they evacuated everyone just for the fun of it?

      Of course not. Evacuation would be a normal action in case of a
      nuclear power plant accident. It would be done as a precaution. No
      surprises there.

      > Do you think that radiation poisoning gives you cancer or do you not
      "buy" that either?

      Sure it does. So do a lot of other things.

      > Some jobs within plants give such a high dosage of radiation that
      they will only allow
      > people to work on them for a couple hrs, then they've hit their limit.

      I understand that. It's a safety precaution. What's your point?
    • Steve Dodd
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 28 4:21 AM
        On Tue, Apr 27, 2004 at 11:31:29PM -0000, David wrote:
        > --- In methanehydrateclub@yahoogroups.com, "XK SAZ" <swezlex1@y...> wrote:

        > > Do you think that radiation poisoning gives you cancer or do you not
        > > "buy" that either?
        >
        > Sure it does. So do a lot of other things.

        Changing the topic a bit, this, but I'm beginning to believe the cancers
        are result of some level of environmental "irritation" combined with a
        severe inhibition of the immune system and other bodily repair
        processes, an inhibition which seems to constitute a pandemic in the
        Western world, at least.

        Did you read about the professor who's just been fired for daring to
        suggest that there actually is a safe level of sun exposure, and that we
        shouldn't all spend the rest of lives living behind UV-filtering glass?

        > > Some jobs within plants give such a high dosage of radiation that
        > > they will only allow people to work on them for a couple hrs, then
        > > they've hit their limit.

        > I understand that. It's a safety precaution. What's your point?

        Nuclear power plants could probably be pretty safe if run competently.
        The question is, how do you ensure such management?

        --
        Home+FOAF: http://www.loth.org.uk/ OpenPGP: 201A57B6
        Original portions © 2004 Steve Dodd

        "When the people fear the 'government,' that is tyranny.
        When the 'government' fears the people, that is liberty."
        - Thomas Jefferson
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 28 4:05 PM
          > Changing the topic a bit, this, but I'm beginning to believe the cancers
          > are result of some level of environmental "irritation" combined with a
          > severe inhibition of the immune system and other bodily repair
          > processes, an inhibition which seems to constitute a pandemic in the
          > Western world, at least.

          It is possible. However, consider the fact that people in the western
          world are living longer now than ever before. Given that, people are
          living long enough to develop things like cancer, Alzheimer's, and
          other age-related diseases that they didn't live long enough to
          encounter before. At one time, people died of things like pneumonia
          and polio while in the prime of life. Now, they live long enough to
          die from some form of cancer in their old age. Does that mean that
          cancer is becoming more common? Maybe, but there's a good reason for
          it. That obviously doesn't relate directly to Three Mile Island, but
          the next time you hear somebody say that incidents of cancer and
          Alzheimer's are on the rise, consider all of the factors involved.

          > Did you read about the professor who's just been fired for daring to
          > suggest that there actually is a safe level of sun exposure, and that we
          > shouldn't all spend the rest of lives living behind UV-filtering glass?

          I didn't hear about it but it doesn't surprise me.

          > Nuclear power plants could probably be pretty safe if run competently.
          > The question is, how do you ensure such management?

          I think the fact that the incidence of serious nuclear accidents in
          the western world is very low is a good indicator that the system, for
          the most part, is working.