Re: alternatives & SOHO

  • XK SAZ
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 23 9:51 AM
      One of the cameras on Soho is facing the wrong way. Its facing to the left of the sun. You
      can't see the sun but you can see a bunch of stars and the light coming from the sun to
      the
      right. I don't know which camera it is.

      It was a comet!!! I could only see this on the LASCO instrument because most of the Soho
      shots are so close to the sun you can't see anything. I thought it was a cosmic ray...

      April 22, 2004
      Recovery from ESR has been postponed until tomorrow.
      SOHO entered ESR (safe) mode at 07:27 UT. The ESR was tiggered by another spurious
      FSPAAD (Fine Sun Pointing Attitude Anomaly Detector) anomaly. Recovery is in progress.
      April 21, 2004
      SOHO entered ESR (safe) mode at 05:37 UT. The ESR was tiggered by the FSPAAD (Fine Sun
      Pointing Attitude Anomaly Detector)

      Even if hydrogen were to come into wide useage
      > tomorrow, the current technology for manufacturing hydrogen on a large
      > scale requires fossil fuel.

      There are other ways. In LA there is a bus company which makes hydrogen from solar a
      solar array right at the pump station. There is an algae research farm that efficiently
      makes hydrogen.
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 23 2:25 PM
        As you've found, SOHO has had experienced two ESR (Emergency Sun
        Reacquisition) events. At this time, there isn't any scientific data
        being returned from SOHO.

        > Even if hydrogen were to come into wide useage
        > > tomorrow, the current technology for manufacturing hydrogen on a large
        > > scale requires fossil fuel.
        >
        > There are other ways. In LA there is a bus company which makes
        hydrogen from solar a
        > solar array right at the pump station. There is an algae research
        farm that efficiently
        > makes hydrogen.

        That's great! Like I've said...I don't mean to imply that the current
        state of affairs is the best way, or that it can't be improved upon.
        The technologies you've mentioned are all potentially viable
        alternatives. In time, I have no doubt they will come into wider use.
        However, it will take time, and during that time, oil is still the
        fuel that drives the machines of industry, manufacturing, and
        transportation.