Re: alternatives

    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 21 7:10 PM
      --- In methanehydrateclub@yahoogroups.com, "XK SAZ" <swezlex1@y...> wrote:
      > What kind of unauthorized experiments were they doing? Why were they
      doing them?

      I honestly don't know. I remember the issue being raised, but I don't
      remember what exactly was being done. I'll look around and see what I
      can find.

      > I have been a technician before. Because technology breaks, its
      inevitable that you have to
      > do "experimentation" in order to fix the problems that come up.
      Sometimes you don't
      > know what is causing the problem in complex machines. Due to human
      error, and the fact
      > that machines break, we should not be relying on something so
      dangerous when it fails.

      Sure technology fails! That's why nuclear power plants, at least in
      the western world, have all kinds of safety systems and backups built
      in.
    • XK SAZ
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 23 9:51 AM
        One of the cameras on Soho is facing the wrong way. Its facing to the left of the sun. You
        can't see the sun but you can see a bunch of stars and the light coming from the sun to
        the
        right. I don't know which camera it is.

        It was a comet!!! I could only see this on the LASCO instrument because most of the Soho
        shots are so close to the sun you can't see anything. I thought it was a cosmic ray...

        April 22, 2004
        Recovery from ESR has been postponed until tomorrow.
        SOHO entered ESR (safe) mode at 07:27 UT. The ESR was tiggered by another spurious
        FSPAAD (Fine Sun Pointing Attitude Anomaly Detector) anomaly. Recovery is in progress.
        April 21, 2004
        SOHO entered ESR (safe) mode at 05:37 UT. The ESR was tiggered by the FSPAAD (Fine Sun
        Pointing Attitude Anomaly Detector)

        Even if hydrogen were to come into wide useage
        > tomorrow, the current technology for manufacturing hydrogen on a large
        > scale requires fossil fuel.

        There are other ways. In LA there is a bus company which makes hydrogen from solar a
        solar array right at the pump station. There is an algae research farm that efficiently
        makes hydrogen.
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 23 2:25 PM
          As you've found, SOHO has had experienced two ESR (Emergency Sun
          Reacquisition) events. At this time, there isn't any scientific data
          being returned from SOHO.

          > Even if hydrogen were to come into wide useage
          > > tomorrow, the current technology for manufacturing hydrogen on a large
          > > scale requires fossil fuel.
          >
          > There are other ways. In LA there is a bus company which makes
          hydrogen from solar a
          > solar array right at the pump station. There is an algae research
          farm that efficiently
          > makes hydrogen.

          That's great! Like I've said...I don't mean to imply that the current
          state of affairs is the best way, or that it can't be improved upon.
          The technologies you've mentioned are all potentially viable
          alternatives. In time, I have no doubt they will come into wider use.
          However, it will take time, and during that time, oil is still the
          fuel that drives the machines of industry, manufacturing, and
          transportation.