Re: 2004 Hurricane Forecast

    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 31, 2004
      > Third, a dam was constructed in the Carolinas last year

      Where??

      > John Daly's solar statistician Landstiedt (I probably do not spell
      > his name correctly) also calls for nothing interesting from a solar
      > standpoint, as in El Nino.

      That's true for the solar outlook. We're in the declining phase of
      the sunspot cycle, so you can expect relatively quiet conditions for a
      few more years yet. Look for the cycle to bottom out in early 2007,
      although there will likely be short bursts of acctivity along the way.

      > Nothing in this
      > picture prevents another Carolina landfall. Indeed, with the
      > winter's fires and dust storms in West Africa and dams there,
      > upwelling currently with cold SSTs, we could have an extremely wet CV
      > season off the African coast, and waves coming off either to energies
      > existing CV storms or create another one.

      Are you talking about an Outer Banks brusher, something that comes a
      bit deeper in like Floyd or Dean, or a direct hit like Hugo?
    • mike@usinter.net
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 1 11:52 PM

        > > Third, a dam was constructed in the Carolinas last year
        >
        > Where??

        Mid S. Carolina. Don't recall the river. It was a reconstruction
        project.

        > > John Daly's solar statistician Landstiedt (I probably do not
        spell
        > > his name correctly) also calls for nothing interesting from a
        solar
        > > standpoint, as in El Nino.
        >
        > That's true for the solar outlook. We're in the declining phase of
        > the sunspot cycle, so you can expect relatively quiet conditions
        for a
        > few more years yet. Look for the cycle to bottom out in early 2007,
        > although there will likely be short bursts of acctivity along the
        way.

        We aren't at the valley, either. In terms of signal noise, there is
        still enough from the flaring events we have to cause an
        amplification required to bring a storm. A larger factor would
        actually be SOx because w/ a good volcanic event, the SOx drops the
        phase change temperature of the cirrus and you don't get separation
        of charges--and a thunderstorm near the magnetic poles is going to
        have WAY more electrical significance than the solar wind.

        > > Nothing in this
        > > picture prevents another Carolina landfall. Indeed, with the
        > > winter's fires and dust storms in West Africa and dams there,
        > > upwelling currently with cold SSTs, we could have an extremely
        wet CV
        > > season off the African coast, and waves coming off either to
        energies
        > > existing CV storms or create another one.
        > >

        > Are you talking about an Outer Banks brusher, something that comes a
        > bit deeper in like Floyd or Dean, or a direct hit like Hugo?

        That's a good question, but let me try to explain what we know and
        how you may be able to answer your own question. Electrically, the
        Gulf Stream is extremely warm--and full of life. Therefore, it
        presents a conductive path that a storm could follow--if a storm was
        just merely it's local winds. But indeed a tropical storm is a
        regional EVENT where thunderstorms a thousand miles away are
        connected to its behavior. And a tropical storm is global to the
        extent that it begins to couple so strongly between ionosphere and
        ocean that it begins to be influenced by earth's EMF. In the case of
        Isabel, Fabian had two weaks beforehand gone NW out to the European
        node of the earth EMF. This caused that area to be like charged as
        Fabian, and created a relative opposing sign to the node over Hudson
        Bay. Therefore, the storm began to plot to North America--not
        because of winds but because of the earth EMF. A fair weather strip
        connected the GOM to the Carolina coast, and there were some moon
        roiling things going on, too, but it is enough to say that given the
        hydrates off the coast of the Carolinas, the Gulf Stream, AND the
        condition of the earth EMF, there was no other place for the voltages
        of the storm to go. That is why once it landfell there were about
        30k strikes pointing right to Hudson Bay from the GOM.

        The pattern is almost the same I have been observing, and nothing is
        there to tell me that we can't have a similar pattern. Of course,
        the moon gravity wave can happen at a different date of the season,
        but from what Steve MacDonald was saying, we should get a similar
        gravity wave from the moon as last year.

        Because of the lack of volcanic activity, I would suspect another
        rain making storm, as SOx reduces the phase change temperatures of
        the cirrus.
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 2 10:47 PM
          > Mid S. Carolina. Don't recall the river. It was a reconstruction
          > project.

          Ok. I knew there hadn't been any new dams built in a long time. For
          SC, the Santee-Cooper complex is by far the biggest lake/river system.
          The Santee river flows into Lake Marion, which then flows into Lake
          Moultree. Both lakes were dammed back in the WW2 era for
          hydroelectric power. At the time, it was the biggest earth-moving
          project ever. Lake Moultree drains into the Cooper River, which
          empties into Charleston Harbor.

          The Lake Moultree dam, if memory serves, is an earthen dam, and I can
          remeber about 20 years ago that it almost gave way during a period of
          prolonged, heavy rain.

          The other major dam in the middle part of the state would be the Lake
          Murray Dam, which is northwest of Columbia, and lies on the Saluda
          River. The Saluda River eventually flows into the Santee River. That
          dam was finished in 1930, and was also built for hydroelectric power.
        • mike@usinter.net
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 10 7:18 PM
            I was in a conversation on another bb with Greg Staff and he asked
            some good questions about my forecast. I sent him pictures of TWC
            radar from a storm that hit us mid March. I have that picture in our
            photos, here. Also, the natural hazards NOAA link pictures an algae
            bloom off the coast just west of here such that the clouds are NOT
            over the algae patch, and were like that all morning as the storm
            rolled in. Here is our exchange:

            In a message dated 4/2/2004 10:39:09 AM Pacific Standard Time,
            gstaff@... writes:
            Mike:

            Thanks for sending the algae bloom and the radar files. I have a few
            comments (of course).

            1) These are moments in time. Without a loop it's impossible to tell
            anything.
            For the moment, you are going to have to trust my observation of the
            event. You have there one single frame, but what I OBSERVED was the
            areas above algae patch as cloudless for the several hours I watched
            it. If you recalled, I posted TWC link as it was happening real time
            and told everyone here to watch what I was seeing.

            2) It appears the algae bloom may go quite a bit further north and
            south, but it's hard to tell because of the cloud cover.
            The bloom runs all the way to the Bay Area and north into Oregon.
            Where I want you to look at is that "bump" were there is a decreased
            algae concentration--as that is where the clouds came ashore. What
            we are talking about in a strong DC capacitive coupled field is water
            vapor DIFFUSING and that is why you have the increases in cloud
            density on either side of the algae patch. Further, since water is
            about 80 times the dielectric as air, the feature then causes "waves"
            or Doran waves as I like to call them, from large scale varying
            capacitive coupling that goes on from the area of strongest coupling.

            Even with that one frame you have, the odds of the clouds conforming
            to the algae patch like that by chance is next to nothing. It begs
            as to why the algae patch would match the clouds above. You could
            couple them in another way, I suppose, by saying that the sustained
            winds that created the upwellings that caused the algae patch also
            cause the cloud pattern. However, winds here shift when storms come
            in--the off shore flow is with fair weather . . .

            3) Last year I saw clouds that looked like horses, but the Broncos
            still had a bad season.
            I am a huge Viking fan and we have never won a super bowl, so don't
            bitch.

            Since my hurricane prediction format doesn't suit you, are you going
            to post your April Fools day Hurricane forecast?

            Greg

            PS: If anyone else wants to look at these files, let me know and I
            will forward them on to you. It'd be good to get other opinions.

            +++++++++++++++++++
            Second exchange of emails
            +++++++++++++++++++
            Really fine questions.

            In a message dated 4/2/2004 1:27:34 PM Pacific Standard Time,
            gstaff@... writes:
            Mike:

            This is what I boiled down from your prediction on Yahoo. Is this
            correct? Care to add anything?
            What is a CV storm?
            CV is Cape Verde for Cape Verde Islands. In a line with those
            islands thunderstorms roll off Africa. These storms are literally
            the most electrically explosive on earth. The strikes are much more
            discharging than those in tornado alley in the US. What happens is
            between the US, Central America, and South America and Africa, HUGE
            voltages of negative charges are taken from the ionosphere during the
            peak of the hurricane seasson. (That peak, BTW, a bell shaped curved,
            due to dams and human activity like CO2 increases, has SHIFTED later,
            about 3 weeks, which is why we saw to December TS last year). When
            those strikes make the ionosphere even more positive than it is
            typically, along the Equatorial Current in the Atlantic, where there
            is impedance values that bring electrons to the ocean surface
            relative to an earth EMF which is CREATED by this convection and the
            patterns in the first place, there is a zone where any forming ice
            crystals get "zapped". Elongated. Ice forms with radical
            assymetry. Nearby in what is called the ITCZ, or inter tropical
            convergence zone, water that is NOT forming ice and trapping heat
            along the Equatorial current moves over the Gulf Stream. There, the
            current is moving such that induction ges the other way, and
            impedance provides a more positive charge to the ocean. There is
            less of a displacement field between ocean and ionosphere and the
            cirrus form with more symmetry and trap infra red heat. Any kind of
            distrubrance off the African coast will start a pulse, or wave of
            electrical activity, and because the dielectric of water is 80 times
            that of air, the electrical and the convective processes couple and
            self organize there. Tropical storms form when a POINT of charges
            form, and organize what is the traditional high pressure of fair
            weather and displacement currents with low pressures and convection
            and charge separations.

            What is a fish storm?
            A storm that doesn't landfall in the Atlantic, like Fabian last
            year. Although there are some people on Bermuda who wouldn't like
            the term.

            Isabel reduces the chance for a following year tropical storm.

            From landfalling in the same place. Like Izzy hit the year before
            last and nothing landfell up the Mississippi delta. However, what I
            was looking for and saw was an almost exact and continuing pattern of
            fair and convective weather from the GOM to the hydrate fields off
            the Carolina coasts. I think another Carolina storm landfalls again
            this year, Indeed, I predict it. I also predict, however, a drought
            developing in Florida consistant with this same flow pattern and what
            it means electrically. As the strike link shows this later in the
            season, I will actually point it out to you real time. It's quite
            interesting to see and think about.

            My view is we certainly will indeed see a fish storm then the danger
            for
            a US landfall occurs.
            IOWs a Fabian storm changes the electrical balance and causes,
            electrically, conditions to be ripe for a landfalling storm. Kind of
            like you have to rub the glass rod with silk first before that rod
            brought near your head makes your hair stand up .

            We could have an extremely wet CV season off the African coast.
            Later, again, in a shifted season, when the CV season starts we will
            have wave after wave coming from W. Africa, and some of them will go
            south toward the Caribean Islands, unlike last year.

            Thunderstorm activity won't cause a storm to be pushed so far north.
            The drought in Florida--a smaller degree of TS activity in the SE
            will mean, electrically, less chance of a storm being carried north
            later in the CV season. This is based on a decreasing amount of
            algae patch activity.

            CV storms are more likely to go south.

            I would not be surprised to see storms move like Izzy did two years
            ago
            [note: into Mexico at the Yucatan Peninsula].

            Later in the season, the Izzy kind of storm becomes more likely.
            Because the Mississipp is active again and the CV storms more likely
            move through the Caribean first.

            [An] [e]arly Allison like storm is likely.

            The W. Caribbean will see a cat 4 or 5 storm later in the year.

            Greg

            ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
            Third exchange of emails
            ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

            In a message dated 4/5/2004 6:37:39 AM Pacific Standard Time,
            gstaff@... writes:
            Mike:

            Based on your last post, here then are what I believe are your
            predictions for the 2004 'cane season. Comments by me are in
            [brackets].

            1) Isabel reduce[d] the chance for a following year tropical storm
            from landfalling in the same place. [Mike: Doesn't this conflict
            with your later statement: "I think another Carolina storm landfalls
            again this year, indeed, I predict it."]

            It reduces the probability that we see a Carolina landfall, but I
            still think one will occur anyway. BTW, if you have seen the SOI
            index lately, it went down to minus 63, which is a very large
            reading. We haven't seen that kind of SOI reading since 1997 with
            the 500 year El Nino for that year. The NOAA models on ENSO show an
            El Nino developing, and historically, El Nino means less tropical
            storm activity. It also causes a relative NE movement of the storms,
            IMHO. Anyway, what we have seen recently with Dr. Gray is early in
            the season as the SOI is strongly negative and the hurricane season
            is slow he has adjusted his numbers down, then when the shifted
            season hits he points back to his earlier prediction. I have had to
            say both that the El Nino is an interesting factor AND that we still
            will have the big numbers--which shows you some of the power of
            clarity and coupling that occurs when you understand the forcing and
            the modulation involved.

            After Camille went up the Mississippi delta, the following year there
            were no hurricanes to run up the delta. Why? My view it has to do
            with the ecological, algae patch changes that occur from the roiling
            of a hurricane. Camille, BTW, followed river changes to the
            Mississippi. The two hurricanes that went up the delta two years ago
            followed similar river changes to the delta lakes. Yet with Isabel,
            the storm struck later in the season and wasn't anything like a
            catagory 5 as it approached the Carolina coasts. Nothing in the
            drought and strike pattern I have seen following Isabel would
            diminish the impact of huge hydrate fields off the coast of the
            Carolinas -- and predicted luner or moon tides are going to also be
            favorable for the same pattern as last year to evolve (a fair weather
            strip that runs from the central GOM and some algae patch there to
            the Carolina coast). This pattern, electrically, creates a guiding
            strip or ridge of fair weather that CV storms track along--with a
            beeline for the Carolinas given the hydrate fields there.

            The only question is El Nino, and the tendency of prevailing El Nino
            electrical patterns to cause fish storms.

            2) I also predict a drought developing in Florida. [This might be
            difficult to prove since one year does not a drought make.]
            I have been watching the drought monitor and a dry patch is starting
            to grow there. If storms get turned NE that pattern will devolope
            but then end in the winter, as during an El Nino Florida always gets
            very strong rain.

            3) My view is we certainly will indeed see a fish storm then the
            danger for a US landfall occurs. [Don't we see fish storms nearly
            every season?
            And you really see them during a typical El Nino season--nuttin' but.
            Do you mean a fish storm nearly immediately followed by a US landfall
            storm?]
            Yes. AKA Fabian/Isabel.

            4) We could have an extremely wet CV season off the African coast.
            [Can you define "extremely wet" in this context?]
            Well above average. Late. IE the bell curve shifted---about a month
            for the CV season.

            5) Later, we will have wave after wave coming from W. Africa, and
            some of them will go south toward the Caribbean Islands, unlike last
            year. [Don't we normally have "wave after wave from W. Africa" during
            hurricane season? So is the key point here, "some will go south"?]
            We don't always have them. BTW, once you start to understand the
            electrical meaning of the storms, you can see how an existing storm
            off the African coast coming in contact with an existing storm will
            die off the coast and seems to strengthen the existing TS downflow.
            That's because we are talking about water ice forming or not in DC
            fields, and water vapor diffusing movements. An existing TS in the
            ITCZ dominates the hydro electrical organization of the region, and
            storms rolling off the W. African coast only add to the positive
            charge of the ionosphere and the defining features of the defining TS
            by DC field and cloud microphysics. BUT, once Fabian was over
            Iceland, Isabel could occur and did occur and will occur--and move
            west, and the bi polar nature of the north EMF, with two nodes, one
            over NA over the Hudson Bay and one over Europe, begin to influence
            the global electrical patterns that cause these largest of storms to
            track the way they do. In the end, the biosphere winds, and gets its
            rain from these storms. And even close calls cause Doran waves
            ashore, and rain feedbacks. But just like the clouds patterning the
            way they did off the Pacific coast west of here, when the CV season
            is on and the storms are tracking west, the clouds get modulated just
            offshore of the Carolinas and charge separations occur from Doran
            waves ashore and that fair weather strip comes NE over the North
            Atlantic, and the storms get guided. My view is this happens despite
            El Nino, but it's a tough call.

            6) [There is] less chance of a storm being carried north later in the
            CV season. CV storms are more likely to go south.
            LATER in the season. Early, El Nino like SOI and SSTs rip them up.
            Meterologists will blame El Nino like 'shear'. It's sun circling the
            earth BS, because it isn't framed in global large scale EMFs and
            cloud microphysics, in viscousity problems, and it is based on
            correlations and not real couplings, but it later in the year comes
            the dangers.

            7) I would not be surprised to see storms move like Izzy did two
            years ago[note: into Mexico at the Yucatan Peninsula]. Later in the
            season, the Izzy kind of storm becomes more likely.

            8) [An] [e]arly Allison like storm is likely.

            Funny I made that prediction just as Texas got hit already with the
            rains. You should have seen the strike activity over Texas a few
            days ago, and then it moved over the delta. The strike activity on
            early Tuesday morning over Texas was so intense that it caused
            a "short" between storms over the ocean and over Nevada and we got
            rain about three in the morning despite a forecast of zero percent
            chance of rain. It was awesome to watch and understand. Again,
            understand, that the dielectric constant of water is about 80 times
            that of air, so when you have these intense electrical events (which
            went with a rising SOI from minus 63 and a very strong solar wind)
            occur patterns follow clouds--and you can see from the strikes and
            with your knowledge of that dielectric where the electrical forcing
            will occur and CREATE new clouds. This is why weather models are
            complete crap after 5 days--yet why we have a deterministic thing
            called climate.

            9) The W. Caribbean will see a cat 4 or 5 storm later in the year. [I
            have assumed this is not the same as prediction #8, since Allison was
            an early, weak, Cat 1 storm, albeit with lots of rain.

            Greg

            --- In methanehydrateclub@yahoogroups.com, mike@u... wrote:
            > From the drought monitor I am interested in four main features of
            the
            > global macrobiological electrical circuit as it relates to US
            > landfalling cyclones. First, the obvious one is tha the earth EMF
            > over the Hudson Bay has weakened. I could get into some detail WHY
            > but this is observed--so it is for another post. The second is
            CAP,
            > or the Colorado Arizona Project, which is a source of reduced flow
            of
            > water down the Colorado into the Gulf of California (GOC). In
            > between these two points of field and conductivity changes is a
            > subtropical jet, which has been highly weakened. As a result,
            there
            > has been a persistant drought in between the GOC and the Hudson Bay
            > node that you can see clearly in the drought monitor data.
            >
            > Third, a dam was constructed in the Carolinas last year and there
            was
            > even a black algae patch seen off the Carolina coast. Fourth,
            there
            > was also level and delta lake construction projects in the
            > Mississippi last year and I assume further work this year. Much of
            > the result of the Mississippi changes in hydrology from human
            > influences resultes in the erosion of the delta and for the
            detritus
            > to flow more directly to the deeper portions of the Gulf of Mexico
            > (GOM) which results in very strong health of biogenic hydrates.
            The
            > algae seems to do quite well, too, and a red tide existed last year
            > north of the Yukatan in the GOM for much of the tropical storm
            > season. This area of convection and great conductivity was
            amplified
            > by the poor EMF in the SW, and connected, electrically, to the
            > instability over the Carolinas.
            >
            > The connection was a looping kind that resulted in an offshore flow
            > and upwelling off the Carolinas. Isabel certainly did come and
            stir
            > and roil the waters which generally speaking reduces the chance for
            > following year tropical storm, from a conductivity standpoint.
            > Indeed, that is what happened two years ago in the Mississippi
            delta
            > and caused me to correctly predict no landfalling in the
            Mississippi
            > delta last year.
            >
            > My friend Steve MacDonald has completed a moon gravity wave
            analysis
            > of the tropical storm season. His analysis calls for an increased
            > level of roiling. So there is nothing from the moon to prevent a
            > continued connection as above.
            >
            > John Daly's solar statistician Landstiedt (I probably do not spell
            > his name correctly) also calls for nothing interesting from a solar
            > standpoint, as in El Nino. This is interesting because NOAAs
            models
            > currently call for one. El Nino reduces hurricanes, but the
            > question, electrically, is not if there will be El Nino SSTs but if
            > there will be electrical patterns that prevent tropical storms from
            > landfalling. My view is they will not, and if you look at 1997,
            this
            > is extremely important, as all the storms, few as they were,
            > were "fish" storms and hooked harmlessly out to the North
            Atlantic.
            > My view is we certainly will indeed see a fish storm, perhaps the
            > first big CV one like Fabian, but once we get one, the global
            > electrical circuit will be ready for an electrical readjustment
            back--
            > which is when the danger for a US landfall occurs. Nothing in this
            > picture prevents another Carolina landfall. Indeed, with the
            > winter's fires and dust storms in West Africa and dams there,
            > upwelling currently with cold SSTs, we could have an extremely wet
            CV
            > season off the African coast, and waves coming off either to
            energies
            > existing CV storms or create another one.
            >
            > The connection between the GOM, as described above, and Carolinas,
            > will exist again. The dry patch in Florida has grown, and the
            > residual black algae patch, the red tides there, have decreased.
            > Florida waters should be less conductive and hence thunderstorm
            > activity off Doran waves from a large TS won't cause a storm to be
            > pushed so far north, IMHO. Further, there was small volcanic
            activity
            > in the East Caribean this winter, and that should increase SOx
            based
            > marine macrobiology there. More conductive waters to the south
            means
            > that CV storms are more likely to go south. There are some other
            > things going on here, but I would not be surprised to see storms
            move
            > like Izzy did two years ago.
            >
            > Early Allison like storm is likely. We continue to have low SOx
            and
            > the GOM is very conductive. It will all depend on when the moon
            > gravity wave comes through. Later, from blooms from roiling,
            > depending on the path, we could see an echo storm in the GOM.
            Later
            > in the season, the Izzy kind of storm becomes more likely. Florida
            > will see growing drought conditions and chances of fires in the
            fire
            > season.
            >
            > The season will again be shifted and above well above averages of
            the
            > past 100 years. The W. Caribean will see a cat 4 or 5 storm later
            in
            > the year.
            >
            > See:
            >
            > http://drought.unl.edu/dm/monitor.html
            >
            > Other comments:
            >
            > 1. Comments on William Gray's forecast:
            >
            > http://hurricane.atmos.colostate.edu/forecasts/2003/dec2003/
            >
            > According to the popular press, the leading forecaster in the world
            > on hurricanes is Dr. William Gray out of CSU. The above link is to
            > his more recent forecast. Gray is a skeptic, BTW. Macrobiology
            > requires a dynamic modulating large scale electrical features.
            > Macrobiology factors are much better explained in terms other than
            > air pressures and winds, much like the movements of the planets are
            > much better explained by the fact that the sun has more mass and
            the
            > force of gravity from it better described the movement of the
            > planets, despite what the dogma of the past was that the earth
            > revolved around the sun.
            >
            > The PRIMARY flaw in all climate models is that they fail to couple
            > cloud behaviors, kinetics, if you will, with radiative and heat
            > trapping trends. Indeed, a more recent paper stated that what heat
            > dynamics should be given more green house gases recently hasn't
            been
            > matched with water vapor trends, which is in my opinion more
            > gaia . . . but I will leave that for another day here. Given this
            > primary flaw, Gray's correlative studies actually DO show coupling.
            > That is, given a certain condition, hurricanes are coupled to it.
            > This is a start, anyway. But we are still left with, given the
            narrow
            > approach, the sun circles around the earth approach, that ocean
            SSTs
            > can be over 84 degrees, and it can be in the middle of September,
            and
            > it can be as clear a sky as there is space in JBW's head. While Dr.
            > Gray is discussing a climate coupling, as opposed to the weather
            > coupling I am discussing, it is a step in the right direction
            because
            > he is capturing longer term electro static trends.
            >
            > I do not directly use correlative statistics, and think that Gray's
            > approach is flawed because of a changing experience base, and what
            > do use couples behaviors so strongly that I can go places where
            Gray
> [...]
            > well correlated. What I have seen specifically, when a strong
            > negative SOI trends strongly positive--that is when the most likely
            > time to see a tropical storm form in the Atlantic. If an El Nino is
            > occurring--the values basically stay negative and no storms form.
            >
            > Predictor 3. September 500 MB Geopotential Height in Western North
            > America (+)
            >
            > (35-55°N, 100-120°W) Positive values of this predictor correlate
            very
            > strongly (r = 0.8) with positive values of the PNA. PNA values are
            > usually positive in the final year of an El Niño event (Horel and
            > Wallace 1981). Therefore, cooler ENSO conditions are likely during
            > the following year. Significant lag correlations exist between this
            > predictor and enhanced geopotential height anomalies in the
            > subtropics during the following summer. High heights in the
            > subtropics reduce the height gradient between the tropics and
            > subtropics resulting in easterly anomalies at 200 mb throughout the
            > tropics which favor hurricane development.
            >
            > This is another El Nino factor, but if there was something I tried
            > make clear to everyone here that since El Nino is poorly defined
            for
            > what it is, how it COUPLES with cloud behaviors of any sort is
            > likewise so flawed.

            > So, I am going to use this as an opportunity to teach about how
            > clouds uncouple thermally given macrobiological changes. The above
            > link is also discussing the same geographical area, and what are
            > called the Santa Ana winds. These winds end up causing upwelling
            and
            > colder SSTs. Normally, one would then think that will colder SSTs
            we
            > would see less rain--but as it turns out, at some point rains come,
            > the oceans heat up by cloud behaviors, just like an La Nina turns
            > into an El Nino. From a thermal standpoint, it makes no sense that
            > something cold becomes warm and something warm becomes cold UNLESS
            > there is a counterforcing. That forcing is biological. Upwelling
            > leads to greater nutrient
            >
            > content and that leads to increases in conductiivty, DESPITE the
            fact
            > that decreases in ocean surface temperature, independant of life,
            > would lead to LESS conductivity. Life is your source of a flip
            flop.
            > A Santa Ana, and cold SSTs, like we have right now off the coast of
            > California, will be a sign of changing weather patterns down the
            > road!
            >
            > Predictor 4. July 50 MB Equatorial U (-)
            >
            > (5°S-5°N, 0-360) Easterly anomalies of the QBO during the previous
            > July indicate that the QBO will likely be in the west phase during
            > the following year's hurricane season. The west phase of the QBO
            has
            > been shown to provide favorable conditions for development of
            > tropical cyclones in the deep tropics according to Gray et al.
            (1992,
> [...]
            > like an electric motor is turned in a current. This movement
            > conceptually follows Fleming's LEFT hand rule. Because tropical
            > storms are electro static in organization, the become less likely
            > occur given a QBO state because it reflects global electrical
            circuit
            > extremes.
            >
            > Predictor 5. September-November SLP in the Gulf - SE USA (-)
            >
            > (15-35°N, 75-95°W) This feature is strongly related to the
            following
            > year's August-September sea level pressure in the tropical and
            > subtropical Atlantic. August-September SLP in the tropical Atlantic
            > is one of the most important predictors for seasonal activity, that
            > is, lower-than-normal sea level pressure is favorable for more TC
            > activity. Low pressure in this area during September-November
            > correlates quite strongly with the positive phase of the PNA. In
            > addition, easterlies at 200 mb throughout the tropical Atlantic are
            > typical during the following year's August-September period with
            low
            > values of this predictor.
            >
            > The question I would ask is--how are electrical currents flowing?
            > Cold oceans don't mean ppoor electrical flow, and at the same time,
            > warm SSTs don't mean anything, either, because biological activity
            > from upwelling of depletion of those nutrients after warming and
            > upwelling ends, can mean relative reduction in conductivity. Again,
            > correlations can be drawn, but the more important question is--what
            > do they MEAN?
            >
            > Predictor 6. November SLP in the Subtropical NE Pacific (+)
            >
            > (7.5-22.5°N, 125-175°W) This feature is also strongly related to
            the
            > following year's August-September sea level pressure in the
            tropical
            > and subtropical Atlantic. High pressure in this area correlates
            with
            > low sea level pressure in the tropical Atlantic and easterly
            > anomalies at 200 mb during the following August through September
            > period. According to Larkin and Harrison (2002), high pressure in
            > this area appears during most winters preceding the development of
            > La Niña event. High pressure in this region forces stronger trade
            > winds in the east Pacific which increases upwelling and helps
            > initiate La Niña conditions which eventually enhance Atlantic
            > hurricane activity during the following summer. In addition, this
            > predictor correlates with low geopotential heights at 500 mb
            > throughout the tropics the following year which is also
            > favorable for more hurricane activity in the Atlantic.
            >
            > This again is about where at 500 MB cirrus are found, and 200 mb is
            > where the ionosphere starts to become interesting, and shows how
            the
            > sub tropical jet is going to behave, in all likelihood, given bio
            > electrical trends.
            >
            > What looks to be a factor I am looking at this year, compared to
            Dr.
            > Gray's "predictors"?
            >
            > Static attraction, repulsion movement of the carbon monoxide
            relative
            > to the West African fires (see link below).
            >
            > We do know that per Fleming's right hand rule and impedance
            > guidelines, that the Equatorial currents will put electrons on the
            > ocean surface. Put another way, there is a positive vector
            downwards
            > into the ocean just based on the direction of current. Since
            opposits
            > repel, we should expect, then, for the carbon monoxide, which
            carries
            > a negative charge, to repel against the Equatorial and move
            > elsewhwere. Conversely, over the ionosphere where there is little
            > convection in the Equatorial regions, the ionosphere is
            particularly
            > positive. In other words, this is a region with fair weather
            voltages
            > to ground--about 100 to 250 volts per meter as measured
            emperically.
            > Africa is the most struck places on earth, so there is plenty of
            > charges taken out of the lower ionsphere nearby for this to be
            > particularly true along the warm, and therefore conductive waters
            of
            > the Equatorial, and South America during the period of December
            thru
            > February also has thunderstorms which will take negative charges
            out
            > of the air. So, since opposits attract, why won't the ozone move
            over
            > the Equatorial toward the ionosphere? Then factor in ambiant winds,
            > pressures, rain patterns, inversion layers--it's all too
            complicated
            > of a mess, right?
            >
            > However, the BIOLOGICAL impact that is important here will only be
            > relative to the ocean. Thus, while some carbon monoxide may indeed
            be
            > attracted to the fair weather zones of the Equatorial regions of
            the
            > ionosphere, the carbon monoxide that is moving toward the positive
            > charges to the surface of the ocean is what will matter later in
            > terms of blooms associated with the ashe material that starts food
            > chains. That movement is at this time of season going to be to the
            S.

            http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/NaturalHazards/natural_hazards_v2.php

            http://manati.wwb.noaa.gov/qscat_archive21/QS2004019/zooms/WMBds27.png

            > On 19 January 2004 another cyclonic circulation developed in the
            > South Atlantic Ocean just east of Salvador, Brazil. Satellite
            images
            > and scatterometer winds (indicating tropical storm strength) are
            > presented below. Here is satellite pictures of the second tropical
            > cyclone to ever form in the south Atlatnic ocean!
            >
            > http://www.met-
            > office.gov.uk/sec2/sec2cyclone/tcimages/Misc/jan2004sat.gif
            >
            > What needs to be appreciated about the IR and visable shots is the
            > half circle of dots of clouds around the storm--this is where it
            gets
            > its electrical pattern from--the charge separations of convection
            > make the ionosphere around the storm relatively positive. Plus it
            is
            > in the form of a "wave" in that the ITCZ extends to Africa, where
            > there is also convection in particular on the terresphere.
            >
            > Here where there is more information:
            >
            > http://www.met-office.gov.uk/sec2/sec2cyclone/tcimages/Misc/
            >
            > There was a good solar wind event, as David points out here, that
            day
            > and the days preceeding it:

            > Bio link? Yep:

            http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/NaturalHazards/natural_hazards_v2.php
            > 3?img_id=11913
            >
            > South of the storm, a good algae bloom occurred and was seen on sat
            > three days before the storm. Because of the counter current there,
            > the circumpolar which normally inducts against cirrus production by
            > its direction and orientation of the earth EMF, anomaly warm air
            > temperatures and melting bergs have been seen. Again, algae is more
            > conductive than the oceans because in order to maintain hydrostatic
            > pressure by osmosis, the algae must be more ionized then the ocean
            > the creatures are contained in.
            >
            > "http://www.john-daly.com/soi-mnth.gif
            >
            > Note the SOI on the 19th swinging positive to negative. This is
            > something you see with big electrical events in the Atlantic as it
            > impacts the SOI. In fact, it qued the small negative readings we
            saw
            > at the end of the month. I suspect more effect then cause on the
            SOI
            > as this is a big electro mechanical event--a storm this size.
            >
            > Steve MacDonald actually pointed out the storm to me in one of his
            > moon gravity wave presentations about a month ago, but I didn't
            know
            > that this was an actual tropical storm. The gravity wave began in
            the
            > South Pacific and actually was headed toward the southern tip of S.
            > America and then went northeast over Southern South America until
            it
            > went right over the area of the tropical storm. My view is once
            over
            > the S. Atlantic the gravity wave caused a gas exchange increase in
            > conductivity relative to the ITCZ and you got the convection of the
            > ITCZ to support, electrically, an electrical pattern of this
            > magnetude. I wish I had the actual pictures from Steve MacDonald to
            > link for the fair reader, because you cannot meaningfully see the
            > overlay of gravity wave (moon position) and cloud behavior, knowing
            > it is all about capacitive coupling and displacement currents, and
            > not see that something is going on there. Once the gravity wave was
            > over on the S. Atlantic side--boom. The cloud mass exploded. Now, I
            > realize I think and understand way better than I write this, but
            the
            > roiling gas exchanges from the gravity wave from the moon isn't
            going
            > to do anything over land--as the land isn't stirred by the moon to
            > cause a gas exchange change in conductitivy--so it is really
            > interesting that once the moon's gravity wave substantially crossed
            > over South America--that's when the cloud explosion occurred.
            >

            > http://www.nrlmry.navy.mil/tc_pages/tc_home.html
            >
            > Here is a good link on the first hurricane ever in the S.
            Atlantic.

            http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/multi_season/13_seas
            > onal_outlooks/color/churchill.html
            >
            > Above link ENSO based long range forecast. This forecast is
            > statistical. I will give a causal explaination. What happens with
            La
            > Nina like conditions is prevailing winds (Santa Anna, off shore)
            for

            http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/NaturalHazards/Archive/Mar2004/CAchlo
            > ro_seawifs2004076_lrg.jpg
            >

            > Explaination. I live, as you may know, in Redding California.
            > Notice from the above map the algae bloom along the Northern
            > California Coast. What I observed on radar from a storm that came
            in
            > is cloud avoided the area over the dense algae patch. What was
            > happening is there was a coupling between ionosphere and ocean
            there,
            > and cirrus elongated and hence convection formed poorly there.
            Water
> [...]
            > would be similar to the experiments]. Thus, the morphological
            change
            > of the ice in this study was not caused by the ice lattice change.
            > Without the electric field, the crystal growth process could be
            > considered as a process whereby the water molecules are added one
            by
            > one to the crystal lattice. This 'adding' process has normally the
            > same probability in all directions, and leads to the formation of
            the
            > symmetric ice crystal [figure omitted]. However, when a high
            voltage
            > field is applied, the electric field may cause different molecules
            in
            > the DMSO solution[a weak acid--what should be noted is rain water
            is
            > slightly acidic from the CO2 and other particles that get dissolved
            > in the air--with a pH of about 5.6] to exhibit different behaviors.
            > The polar water molecules/clusters may be torqued and rearranged
            > under the action of the electric field and forced to joining the
            > lattice in a special orientation and position. Hence, different
            > growth rates occur in different directions and the ice crystal
            > becomes asymmetric. Under the action of an electric field, the
            water
            > molecules may rearrange and line up end to end in the direction of
            > the electric field. In viewing the crystal structure, this well-
            > ordered water molecules/clusters seems like crystal or quasi-
            > crystallines. In this case the water molecules/clusters possess an
            > ideal situation for rapid crystal growth. That may be the reason
            why
            > the main branches, which are parallel to the direction of the
            > electric field, grow faster than the other branches."
            >
            > Once there in fact is experimental proof of a different growth rate
            > by EMF dynamics, which there is ABOVE, you can infer that in a
            > hurricane, where there are known DC fields of the same scale as in
            > these Chinese experiments on ice formations in DC fields, with the
            > ocean spray from 150 plus MPH winds containing all the ions needed
            > and matching what was in the experiment. What then happens are
            > asymmetric changes where water vapor goes due to the growth rates--
            > the more symmetrical forming cirrus. In other words, diffusion
            > pressure will cause a movement of water vapor toward the clouds NOT
            > in the strong DC capactive field--meaning not in the eye, because
            the
            > eye contains no cloud cover, no water to form a strong dielectric
            > that would instead exist in the clouds. Phase change energies are
            > then organized. The eye is where DC fields have been OBSERVED. This
            > is published, peer reviewed science. It is science I am not
            > publishing, only science I am pointing out.
            > Electrically, the storm is organized.
            >
            > On September 13, 2003, for instance, the Air Force Reserve
            Hurricane
            > Hunters made several of their 39 center fixes on Hurricane Isabel.
            > That day the NOAA Hurricane Hunters made two formal center fixes
            and
            > flew seven research missions into the storm. The highest winds
            > measured by the aircraft were 158 kt (Air Force at 700 mb) and 157
            kt
            > (NOAA at 8400 ft) between 1700-1730 UTC 13 September. A 156-kt
            flight-
            > level wind (700 mb) was also observed at 1719 UTC 12 September.
            > Stronger winds were observed on eyewall dropsondes, with a maximum
            of
            > 203 kt reported at 806 mb (4500 ft) at 1753 UTC 13 September. This
            is
            > the strongest wind ever observed in an Atlantic hurricane, although
            > it likely does not represent a 1-min average. Given the multiple
            > mesovortices, if you think of those like tornadoes, even 300 mph
            > isn't that hard to believe. That speed in kts represents a MPH wind
            > speed of 233.45 MPH. Here's a picture of the 13th when those record
            > readings were made:
            >

            > http://www.sunsetbreezes.com/s/GOES030913-1715-ir.jpg
            >
            > http://www.sunsetbreezes.com/s/20030913-1742vis13LISABEL130kts-
            935mb-
            > 221N-610W.jpg
            >
            > What you should notice about the mesovortices from an IR standpoint
            > is the symmetry.
            >
            > Down below I will point out what that means to Prof.
            > Kassin's "analogy".
            >
            > The circle of the eye relates to the electrical charge organization
            > of the storm inside the eye. This organization comes from the fact
            > that the roiling winds are in somewhat of a circular path (there is
            > Nature paper by Bates et all on gas exchanges during Hurricane
            Felix

            http://dept.physics.upenn.edu/courses/gladney/phys151/lectures/lecture
> [...]
            of
            > the mesovortices.)
            >

            > IONOSPHERE
            >
            > ....................-..............-
            > .....................\............/
            > ......................\........../
            > .......................v .......v
            > ........................^......^
            > .........................\..../
            > ..........................\../
            > ..........................+.+
            > ........- -----><----- + - + -----><----- -
            > ............................+
            > ............................|
            > ............................|
            > ............................v
            > ............................^
            > ............................|
            > ............................|
            > ............................-
            >
            > ATLANTIC SURFACE
            >
            > ....................+..............+
            > .....................\............/
            > ......................\........../
            > .......................v .......v
            > ........................^......^
            > .........................\..../
            > ..........................\../
            > ...........................-.-
            > .......+ -----><----- - + - -----><----- +
            > ............................-
            > ............................|
            > ............................|
            > ............................v
            > ............................^
            > ............................|
            > ............................|
            > ............................+
            >
            > Ionosphere Ocean Capacitive Coupling above Eye:
            >
            > ............................+..-..+
            > ............................|..|..|
            > ............................|..|..|
            > ............................v..v..v
            > ............................^..^..^
            > ............................|..|..|
            > ............................|..|..|
            > ............................-..+..-
            >

            > Knowing that water vapor has a stronger dielectric constant is also
            > necessary primer when talking about what you can pick up from the
            > clouds, electrically, in terms of the patterns that are occurring.
            > But let's keep it simple. Opposites attract. So a static field of
            > positive voltages will attract negative--and if you are coupling
            from
            > ionosphere to ocean, if the ionosphere is negative, the ocean will
            > experience magnetic flux that brings positive voltages to the
            > surface. How the ocean and ionosphere couple, or connect from a
            > capacitive description depends on the charges, the area of
            > the "plates" and the dielectric between the "plates". Now, I
            realize
            > I simplify, but there is a huge difference between how the fields
            in
            > the ionosphere and on the ocean surface couple between air with
            water
            > and air with air. About an 80 times difference. And BTW when ice
            > crystals are involved, there may even be more complexity (which
            gets
            > to how life could have a very strong impact on what is going one)
            in

            http://www.mas.ncl.ac.uk/~sbrooks/book/nish.mit.edu/2006/Textbook/Node