    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 27, 2004
      Sorry for the delay! I've had some other things going on. So,
      without further adeau (sp?)

      ** Aurora Watch In Effect **

      The Earth has moved inside of a high speed solar wind stream,
      presumably coming from a coronal hole. I say presumably, because the
      SOHO satellite is currently in a time period when image return is
      impaired. It has to do with a previous malfunction in SOHO's
      high-gain antenna pointing mechanism. See this link for more
      information : http://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/ , and click on "What's New."

      Anyway, back to the coronal hole. X-ray pictures from the GOES Solar
      X-ray Imager showed a coronal hole moving into position on the 25th,
      so I assume that's what's happening. The solar wind speed is over 900
      km/sec, the fastest I've seen it in awhile. Thusfar, there haven't
      been any geomagnetic storm conditions observed, but that could easily
      changed. There has also been some activity on the flare side of
      things. Sunspot region 582 spawned an M-1 class flare late on the
      24th, and an M-2 flare on the 25th. The background X-ray flux has
      descreased since then, although region 582 still has significant
      flare-generating potential. Since region 582 has just rotated into
      view, it'll be around for a few days, so stay tuned. Expect the
      elevated solar wind speed to persist for the next three days.

      IMF Orientation : 5.4 nT North

      Solar activity is expected to be at low to moderate levels. Region 582
      has the potential to produce an M-class flare.

      Geomagnetic activity forecast :
      The geomagnetic field is expected to be at predominantly unsettled to
      active levels. A recurrent high speed coronal hole stream is expected
      to be geo-effective throughout the period with isolated minor storm
      conditions possible, mostly at higher latitudes.

      25-Mar-2004 0439Z M2.3
      24-Mar-2004 2329Z M1.5