Re: Something fishy about the Santa Ana wind?

  • mike@usinter.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 18, 2004
      http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/NaturalHazards/Archive/Mar2004/calif
      ornia3_seawifs2004076.jpg

      http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/NaturalHazards/natural_hazards_v2.ph
      p3?img_id=12009

      Phytoplankton off the coast of California

      Phytoplankton off the coast of California

      Large images:
      Chlorophyll Concentrations (2.4 Mb JPEG)
      Natural Color (1.7 Mb JPEG)

      Linked is a picture of an algae bloom that you can see with your own
      eyes. Currently a very strong heat wave impacts California, with
      records falling. As you may know similar algae bloom existed to the
      west of France and GB during their heat wave this past summer. The
      air tends to get compressed coming into California, as it was coming
      to France last summer, and it heats. This is caused by increases in
      conductivity brought about by the large scale cumulation of algae.
      To refresh your memory, osmotic pressures are maintained by cellular
      life having a greater ion content than what is in the ocean about
      them. This means that water with life in it, even outside gas
      exchange conductivity issues, will have a greater conductivity.
      Don't worry, 15,000 fruits, nuts and queers aren't going to kick--in
      California we are used to the heat.

      > NEWS RELEASE: 2004-082
      > March 11, 2004
      >
      > NASA Satellite Finds Something Fishy About Santa Ana Winds
      >
      > Southern California's legendary Santa Ana winds wreak havoc every
      > year, creating hot, dry conditions and fire hazards. Despite their
      > often-destructive nature, a study of the "Devil Winds," conducted
      > using data from NASA's Quick Scatterometer (Quikscat) spacecraft
      and
      > its SeaWinds instrument shows the winds have some positive
      benefits.

      > "These strong winds, which blow from the land out into the ocean,
      > cause cold water to rise from the bottom of the ocean to the top,
      > bringing with it many nutrients that ultimately benefit local
      > fisheries," said Dr. Timothy Liu, a senior research scientist at
      > NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, Calif., and Quikscat
      > project scientist. Santa Ana consequences include vortices of cold
      > water and high concentrations of chlorophyll 400 to 1,000
      kilometers
      > (248 to 621 miles) offshore.
      >
      > Liu and Dr. Hua Hu of the California Institute of Technology,
      > Pasadena, in a paper published last year in Geophysical Research
      > Letters, revealed satellite observations of the Santa Ana effects
      on
      > the ocean during three windy days in February 2003. According to
      the
      > findings, Quikscat was able to identify the fine features of the
      > coastal Santa Ana wind jets. It identified location, strength and
      > extent, which other weather prediction products lack the
      resolution to
      > consistently show, and which moored ocean buoys lack sufficient
      > coverage to fully represent.
      >
      > Quikscat's high-resolution images of air-sea interaction were used
      > measure wind forces on the ocean. Other satellites and
      instruments,
      > like the Sea-viewing Wide Field-of-view Sensor (SeaWiFS) and the
      > Advanced Very High Resolution Radiometer, onboard a National
      Oceanic
      > and Atmospheric Administration polar orbiting weather satellite,
      were
      > used to measure the temperature and biological production of the
      ocean
      > surface, which respond to the wind.
      >
      > The latter instrument showed sea surface temperatures dropped four
      > degrees Celsius (seven degrees Fahrenheit) during the February 2003
      > Santa Anas. That was a sign that upwelling had occurred, meaning,
      > deep cold water moved up to the ocean surface bringing nutrients.
      > Images from SeaWiFS confirmed the increased biological
      productivity by
      > measuring chlorophyll concentrations in the surface water. It went
      > from negligible, in the absence of winds, to very active biological
      > activity (more than 1.5 milligrams per cubic meter) in the
      presence of
      > the winds.
      >
      > "There really is no other system that can monitor Santa Ana winds
      over
      > the entire oceanic region," Liu said. "Scatterometers such as
      Quikscat