Re: Something fishy about the Santa Ana wind?

  • mike@usinter.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 18, 2004

      Phytoplankton off the coast of California

      Phytoplankton off the coast of California

      Large images:
      Chlorophyll Concentrations (2.4 Mb JPEG)
      Natural Color (1.7 Mb JPEG)

      Linked is a picture of an algae bloom that you can see with your own
      eyes. Currently a very strong heat wave impacts California, with
      records falling. As you may know similar algae bloom existed to the
      west of France and GB during their heat wave this past summer. The
      air tends to get compressed coming into California, as it was coming
      to France last summer, and it heats. This is caused by increases in
      conductivity brought about by the large scale cumulation of algae.
      To refresh your memory, osmotic pressures are maintained by cellular
      life having a greater ion content than what is in the ocean about
      them. This means that water with life in it, even outside gas
      exchange conductivity issues, will have a greater conductivity.
      Don't worry, 15,000 fruits, nuts and queers aren't going to kick--in
      California we are used to the heat.