Something fishy about the Santa Ana wind?

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 15 6:54 PM
      NEWS RELEASE: 2004-082
      March 11, 2004

      NASA Satellite Finds Something Fishy About Santa Ana Winds

      Southern California's legendary Santa Ana winds wreak havoc every
      year, creating hot, dry conditions and fire hazards. Despite their
      often-destructive nature, a study of the "Devil Winds," conducted
      using data from NASA's Quick Scatterometer (Quikscat) spacecraft and
      its SeaWinds instrument shows the winds have some positive benefits.

      "These strong winds, which blow from the land out into the ocean,
      cause cold water to rise from the bottom of the ocean to the top,
      bringing with it many nutrients that ultimately benefit local
      fisheries," said Dr. Timothy Liu, a senior research scientist at
      NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, Calif., and Quikscat
      project scientist. Santa Ana consequences include vortices of cold
      water and high concentrations of chlorophyll 400 to 1,000 kilometers
      (248 to 621 miles) offshore.

      Liu and Dr. Hua Hu of the California Institute of Technology,
      Pasadena, in a paper published last year in Geophysical Research
      Letters, revealed satellite observations of the Santa Ana effects on
      the ocean during three windy days in February 2003. According to the
      findings, Quikscat was able to identify the fine features of the
      coastal Santa Ana wind jets. It identified location, strength and
      extent, which other weather prediction products lack the resolution to
      consistently show, and which moored ocean buoys lack sufficient
      coverage to fully represent.

      Quikscat's high-resolution images of air-sea interaction were used to
      measure wind forces on the ocean. Other satellites and instruments,
      like the Sea-viewing Wide Field-of-view Sensor (SeaWiFS) and the
      Advanced Very High Resolution Radiometer, onboard a National Oceanic
      and Atmospheric Administration polar orbiting weather satellite, were
      used to measure the temperature and biological production of the ocean
      surface, which respond to the wind.

      The latter instrument showed sea surface temperatures dropped four
      degrees Celsius (seven degrees Fahrenheit) during the February 2003
      Santa Anas. That was a sign that upwelling had occurred, meaning,
      deep cold water moved up to the ocean surface bringing nutrients.
      Images from SeaWiFS confirmed the increased biological productivity by
      measuring chlorophyll concentrations in the surface water. It went
      from negligible, in the absence of winds, to very active biological
      activity (more than 1.5 milligrams per cubic meter) in the presence of
      the winds.

      "There really is no other system that can monitor Santa Ana winds over
      the entire oceanic region," Liu said. "Scatterometers such as Quikscat
      have a large enough field of view and high enough resolution to easily
      identify the details of coastal winds, which can affect the
      transportation, ecology and economy of Southern California."

      High pressure develops inland when cold air is trapped over the
      mountains, driving the dry, hot and dusty Santa Anas (also called
      Santanas and Devil's Breath) at high speeds toward the coast. The
      winds, occurring in fall, winter and spring, can reach 113 kilometers
      (70 miles) per hour. They happen at any time of day and usually reach
      peak strength in December. Telltale signs on the coast include good
      visibility inland, unusually low humidity and an approaching dark
      brown dust cloud.

      The Quikscat satellite, launched in June 1999, operates in a
      Sun-synchronous, 800-kilometer (497-mile) near-polar orbit. It
      circles Earth every 100 minutes and takes approximately 400,000 daily
      measurements over 93 percent of the planet's surface. It passes over
      Southern California about twice a day, skipping a day every three or
      four days.

      Quikscat is part of an integrated Earth observation system managed by
      NASA's Office of Earth Science. The NASA enterprise is dedicated to
      understanding the Earth as an integrated system and applying Earth
      System Science to improve prediction of climate, weather, and natural
      hazards using the unique vantage point of space.

      For information about NASA programs on the Internet, visit:

      http://www.nasa.gov .

      For information about Quikscat and SeaWinds on the Internet, visit:

      http://winds.jpl.nasa.gov
    • mike@usinter.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 18 11:16 PM
        http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/NaturalHazards/Archive/Mar2004/calif
        ornia3_seawifs2004076.jpg

        http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/NaturalHazards/natural_hazards_v2.ph
        p3?img_id=12009

        Phytoplankton off the coast of California

        Phytoplankton off the coast of California

        Large images:
        Chlorophyll Concentrations (2.4 Mb JPEG)
        Natural Color (1.7 Mb JPEG)

        Linked is a picture of an algae bloom that you can see with your own
        eyes. Currently a very strong heat wave impacts California, with
        records falling. As you may know similar algae bloom existed to the
        west of France and GB during their heat wave this past summer. The
        air tends to get compressed coming into California, as it was coming
        to France last summer, and it heats. This is caused by increases in
        conductivity brought about by the large scale cumulation of algae.
        To refresh your memory, osmotic pressures are maintained by cellular
        life having a greater ion content than what is in the ocean about
        them. This means that water with life in it, even outside gas
        exchange conductivity issues, will have a greater conductivity.
        Don't worry, 15,000 fruits, nuts and queers aren't going to kick--in
        California we are used to the heat.