Re: Gas on Ice

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 29, 2004
      > The earth EMF is decreasing--about 8% over the past 100 years.
      > Without the earth EMF the solar winds wisk the atmosphere away, and
      > especially will wisk the ionosphere, and the ozone layer, and that
      > will have immediate impact on climate, in my view. Harvesting
      > hydrates may as it turns out be a way of changing the patterns of EMF
      > to sustain the earth EMF--so we should find a way to have our cake
      > and eat it too.

      What you say is indeed true. The Earth's magnetic field is losing
      strength, for now. However, keep in mind that the as far as anybody
      can tell, the Earth has had an atmosphere for most of its 4.5 billion
      year life, and I don't see it going away anytime soon. The
      fluctuation in the magnetic field is a brief hiccup, like thousands of
      others that have come and gone in the past.
    • mike@usinter.net
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 2, 2004
        Comment below:

        > > The earth EMF is decreasing--about 8% over the past 100 years.
        > > Without the earth EMF the solar winds wisk the atmosphere away,
        and
        > > especially will wisk the ionosphere, and the ozone layer, and
        that
        > > will have immediate impact on climate, in my view. Harvesting
        > > hydrates may as it turns out be a way of changing the patterns of
        EMF
        > > to sustain the earth EMF--so we should find a way to have our
        cake
        > > and eat it too.
        > >

        > What you say is indeed true. The Earth's magnetic field is losing
        > strength, for now.

        It is well known that the earth EMF flips and changes its
        intensity. What I suggest is that there are indeed times that the
        lack of an earth EMF causes the solar winds to strip away the
        atmosphere, starting, of course, with the ionosphere. Seems to me
        that OZONE would be the first part to the atmosphere to take a hit.
        That then would begin to change the earth global electrical circuitry
        and cause storms--chaotic patterns.

        Which then get modulated by the biosphere.

        The fact that there is an atmosphere and its degree is also a highly
        tuned mechanism, IMHO. Tuned by the biosphere.

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 3, 2004
          > It is well known that the earth EMF flips and changes its
          > intensity. What I suggest is that there are indeed times that the
          > lack of an earth EMF causes the solar winds to strip away the
          > atmosphere, starting, of course, with the ionosphere. Seems to me
          > that OZONE would be the first part to the atmosphere to take a hit.
          > That then would begin to change the earth global electrical circuitry
          > and cause storms--chaotic patterns.
          >
          > Which then get modulated by the biosphere.
          >
          > The fact that there is an atmosphere and its degree is also a highly
          > tuned mechanism, IMHO. Tuned by the biosphere.

          In the most chaotic part of the magnetic field's life, a pole flip,
          the magnetic field still exists. It's twisted and convoluted, with
          north and south poles popping up in some really odd places until
          things settle down again, but it is still a magnetic field, and still
          offers protection. In a way, it might be fun! It would be a blast to
          be sitting on a beach in Tahiti on a warm, tropical night, sipping a
          drink with a little umbrella in it, while watching the dance of aurora
          light high overhead.

          If the magnetic field were to vanish altogether for a time, we do have
          one thing in our favor. We have active volcanos constantly
          replenishing the atmosphere. The main effect might be purely
          biological. We would have to take precautions against solar
          radiation, especially during periods of high solar activity.