    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 26, 2004
      Sunspot region has shattered the calm by producing two big flares, one
      of them an X-1 event happened early on Thursday morning. While this
      sunspot region had been growing rapidly, now stretching eight
      Earth-diameters end-to-end, it had lacked the magnetic complexity that
      it takes to generate significant flares. That changed rather
      dramatically. While the flares were decidedly impressive, they were
      short duration events, and really didn't fire off much in the way of
      CME's. What is more likely to produce some activity is a medium-sized
      coronal that has rotated into an Earth-pointing position. We should
      be seeing the high speed solar wind gusts from it beginning over the
      weekend, most likely Sunday. Also keep an eye from sunspot region
      564. It may not be finished yet.

      IMF Orientatio : 4.0 nT South

      Conditions for the last 24 hours :
      Space weather for the past 24 hours has been moderate. Radio blackouts
      reaching the R2 level occurred.

      Forecast for the next 24 hours :
      Space weather for the next 24 hours is expected to be minor. Radio
      blackouts reaching the R1 level are expected.

      Solar activity forecast :
      Solar activity is expected to be at moderate levels. Region 564 has
      the potential to produce isolated major flare activity.

      Geomagnetic activity forecast :
      The geomagnetic field is expected to be at predominantly quiet to
      unsettled levels. 29 February may experience active conditions due to
      a recurrent high speed coronal hole stream.

      26-Feb-2004 2230Z M5.7
      26-Feb-2004 0203Z X1.1
    • mike@usinter.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 26, 2004
        We had some strong TS activity complete with small hale today. It
        came like a typical tornado alley afternoon thunderstorm and I noted
        on the strike like we were about the only place with some strikes. I
        don't know how much of the activity you are talking about
        contributed . . . like sometimes you can really see when the solar
        signal increases.