    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 24, 2004
      Conditions are beginning to quiet tonight after a 48 hour period that
      saw geomagnetic storms reach the G-3 level. That was as a result of
      the impact of a CME coming from a long-duration C-6 flare a few days
      ago. Aurora were seen and photographed in several locations across
      northern Europe, Canada, and Alaska, as can be seen here :
      http://science.nasa.gov/spaceweather/aurora/gallery_01jan04.htm . As
      I said, conditions are quieting down now, and the solar wind speed has
      dropped off back into the 460 km/sec range. There are four numbered
      sunspot regions visible, all of which are close to the western limb of
      the solar disk. None appear to have the potential for generating a
      significant flare at the present time. With no significant sunspots
      coming over the eastern limb of the solar disk, we could see the
      sunspot number drop quite low as the currently visible sunspots rotate
      out of view. There is a small coronal hole now in an Earth-pointing
      position, and we could see some mild high-speed solar wind gusts from
      it around the middle of next week.

      IMF Orientation : 0.7 nT North

      Solar activity is expected to be at very low levels. There is a chance
      for an isolated low level C-class flare from Region 544.

      Geomagnetic activity forecast :
      The geomagnetic field is expected to be at predominantly quiet to
      unsettled levels. Isolated active conditions are possible with
      southward oscillations in the Bz component of the interplanetary
      magnetic field.