Re: Hot towers and hurricanes

  • mike@usinter.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 17, 2004

      > I've seen you say this before, and I'm confused. If memory serves,
      > dielectric is a non-cunductor. Are you saying water is a better or
      > worse insulator than air? Pure water is a non-conductor, but
      there's
      > basically no such thing as completely pure water unless you make it
      in
      > a lab.

      Good question and excellent point.

      But in this context what we are talking about is how well a static
      field behaves--or the EMF involved. Some things are insulative to an
      electrical field but conductive to direct current. Example--lead.

      Air is insulative to a direct current. So is SPACE. But space is
      not insulative to an EMF. Capacitors in vacuums perform better than
      capacitors with water between the plates, that is all I am saying.

      A hurricane with more ions will probably be more conductive of the
      applicable large scale direct currents involved, but it is a
      displacement current that elongates the cirrus, per the experiment I
      have cited.