Hot towers and hurricanes

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 12, 2004
      Rob Gutro
      Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt, Md.
      (Phone: 301/286-4044)

      RELEASE: 04-017

      A "HOT TOWER" ABOVE THE EYE CAN MAKE HURRICANES STRONGER

      They are called hurricanes in the Atlantic, typhoons in the West
      Pacific, and tropical cyclones worldwide; but wherever these storms
      roam, the forces that determine their severity now are a little less
      mysterious. NASA scientists, using data from the Tropical Rainfall
      Measuring Mission (TRMM) satellite, have found "hot tower" clouds are
      associated with tropical cyclone intensification.

      Owen Kelley and John Stout of NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center,
      Greenbelt, Md., and George Mason University will present their
      findings at the American Meteorological Society annual meeting in
      Seattle on Monday, January 12.

      Kelley and Stout define a "hot tower" as a rain cloud that reaches at
      least to the top of the troposphere, the lowest layer of the
      atmosphere. It extends approximately nine miles (14.5 km) high in the
      tropics. These towers are called "hot" because they rise to such
      altitude due to the large amount of latent heat.Water vapor releases
      this latent heat as it condenses into liquid.

      A particularly tall hot tower rose above Hurricane Bonnie in August
      1998, as the storm intensified a few days before striking North
      Carolina. Bonnie caused more than $1 billion damage and three deaths,
      according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
      National Hurricane Center.

      Kelley said, "The motivation for this new research is that it is not
      enough to predict the birth of a tropical cyclone. We also want to
      improve our ability to predict the intensity of the storm and the
      damage it would cause if it struck the coast." The pioneering work of
      Joanne Simpson, Jeffrey Halverson and others has already shown hot
      towers increase the chance a new tropical cyclone will form. Future
      work may use this association to improve forecasts of a cyclone's
      destructive potential.

      To achieve their goal, Kelley and Stout needed to compile a special
      kind of global statistics on the occurrence of hot towers inside
      tropical cyclones. The only possible data source was TRMM satellite, a
      joint effort of NASA and the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency. "Many
      satellites can see the top of a hot tower, but what's special about
      this satellite's Precipitation Radar is that it gives you 'X-ray
      vision' so you can see inside a hot tower," Kelley said. To compile
      global statistics, the radar needs to be orbiting the Earth.

      After compiling the statistics, Kelley and Stout found a tropical
      cyclone with a hot tower in its eyewall was twice as likely to
      intensify within the next six hours than a cyclone that lacked a
      tower. The "eyewall" is the ring of clouds around a cyclone's central
      eye. Kelley and Stout considered many alternative definitions for hot
      towers before concluding the nine-mile height threshold was
      statistically significant.

      Funding for the research was provided by NASA's Earth Science
      Enterprise. The Enterprise strives to advance Earth System Science and
      to improve the prediction of climate, weather and natural hazards from
      the unique vantage point of space.

      For more information about the research and images on the Internet, visit:

      http://www.gsfc.nasa.gov/topstory/2004/0112towerclouds.html

      For information about the TRMM Satellite on the Internet, visit:

      http://trmm.gsfc.nasa.gov

      http://www.eorc.nasda.go.jp/TRMM
    • mike@usinter.net
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 14, 2004
        Comment:

        Again, look at this link:

        http://www.ichmt.org/abstracts/Vim-01/abstracts/04-01.pdf

        Consider that where the super cooled water is elongated in a field--
        which would be the displacement current in teh eye, or along the eye
        wall, you will have diffusing water vapor moving toward the
        less "zapped" forming cirrus, and that cirrus will have phase change
        energies, while the nearby zapped air will be relatively losing it.
        The surface wind moves at a high speed water vapor moves toward the
        surface low, but what we are really talking about is relatively
        warming air rising in a donut shape, which creates a vacuum in
        the "hole" of the donut, but does not necessarily describe the heat
        dynamics inside the eye. Indeed, cloud free, the eye allows heat to
        escape from space, and causes a high pressure region above the eye
        and permits good outflow in the upper level winds. But the surface
        low has no other explaination other than the explosive phase change
        energies organized by a lack of capacitive displacement current
        elongating the cirrus, which makes the clouds trap heat and give
        phase change energies more effectively compared to anywhere else on
        earth, really, and the clouds warm relative to other clouds, and
        rise to the tops of the troposphere. You cannot explain this by any
        thermal means alone, and frankly, as you go there--to the forcing of
        the EMFs--you must then include life, on this living earth, to
        understanding what a hot tower is.

        :

        -- In methanehydrateclub@yahoogroups.com, "David" <b1blancer1@e...>

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 15, 2004
          Clarification please. Exactly what do you mean by "zapped" and "phase
          change?"
        • mike@usinter.net
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 16, 2004
            > Clarification please. Exactly what do you mean by "zapped"
            and "phase
            > change?"

            Phase change energies, or delta energies are energies given
            chemically from water as it moves from water vapor, to water, to
            ice. Just like you heat water to boil it, you warm the air to
            condense it.

            Zap is a terrible term--sorry. I just mean that if the super cooled
            water-ion solution is in a strong capactive field that the field will
            elongate the aerosol and cause the phase changes to occur at a much
            slower rate relative to the same aerosol that is not elongated.
            Water vapor is drawn to the more rapidly freezing particle, and phase
            change energies are given to those cirrus not in a strong field.

            In a hurricane, the eye has a huge displacement current, given that
            the eye is relatively clear of water and water is about 80 times the
            dielectric of air.
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 16, 2004
              --- In methanehydrateclub@yahoogroups.com, mike@u... wrote:
              > --- In methanehydrateclub@yahoogroups.com, "David" <b1blancer1@e...>
              > wrote:
              > > Clarification please. Exactly what do you mean by "zapped"
              > and "phase
              > > change?"
              >
              > Phase change energies, or delta energies are energies given
              > chemically from water as it moves from water vapor, to water, to
              > ice. Just like you heat water to boil it, you warm the air to
              > condense it.

              Oh, THAT phase change! Sorry, I shoulda figured that out.

              > In a hurricane, the eye has a huge displacement current, given that
              > the eye is relatively clear of water and water is about 80 times the
              > dielectric of air.

              I've seen you say this before, and I'm confused. If memory serves, a
              dielectric is a non-cunductor. Are you saying water is a better or
              worse insulator than air? Pure water is a non-conductor, but there's
              basically no such thing as completely pure water unless you make it in
              a lab.
            • mike@usinter.net
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 17, 2004

                > I've seen you say this before, and I'm confused. If memory serves,
                > dielectric is a non-cunductor. Are you saying water is a better or
                > worse insulator than air? Pure water is a non-conductor, but
                there's
                > basically no such thing as completely pure water unless you make it
                in
                > a lab.

                Good question and excellent point.

                But in this context what we are talking about is how well a static
                field behaves--or the EMF involved. Some things are insulative to an
                electrical field but conductive to direct current. Example--lead.

                Air is insulative to a direct current. So is SPACE. But space is
                not insulative to an EMF. Capacitors in vacuums perform better than
                capacitors with water between the plates, that is all I am saying.

                A hurricane with more ions will probably be more conductive of the
                applicable large scale direct currents involved, but it is a
                displacement current that elongates the cirrus, per the experiment I
                have cited.