    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 30, 2003
      The activity is still low this evening, and there really isn't too
      much to talk about. Sunspot region 528 remains an outside threat for
      an M-class flare, although it has been quiet since its M1.5 outburst
      on the 26th. We should be entering an high speed solar wind stream
      coming from a small coronal hole on either the 31st or the 1st. What
      sort of activity we see from it, as always, will depend upon how the
      interplanetary magnetic field is oriented. However, as I stated in an
      earlier post, the period of time around the solstices is usually not
      good for geomagnetic activity. On an urelated topic, the first of the
      two Mars Exploration Rovers is scheduled to land on Mars at around
      11:30 pm EST thus Sunday nighr, and the Stardust comet sample
      collection and return mission is only two days away from its flyby of
      comet Wild 2!

      IMF Orientation : 3.0 nT South

      Solar activity is expected to be at very low to low levels. Region 528
      has the potential for C-class flares.

      Geomagnetic activity forecast :
      The geomagnetic field is expected to be at quiet to active levels.
      Isolated active periods are possible on 01 January due to a coronal
      hole high speed stream rotating into a geoeffective position.