    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 28, 2003
      Region 528 has been quiet since the M1.5 flare flare of the 26th,
      although it still has an outside chance of producing another M-class
      flare. There has been an increase in the solar wind speed over the
      last 24 hours, and to be honest, I don't see a good reason why. There
      is a small coronal hole that is rotating into an Earth-pointing
      position, but we shouldn't see any solar wind effects from that until
      the 31st at the earliest. It is possible that while the
      aforementioned flare didn't appear to have a CME associated with it,
      we could have experienced a transient shock passage from it that
      didn't show up on the SOHO coronagraph imagery. At any rate, there
      wasn't any noteworthy geomagnetic effect from it. While the exact
      cause is still being debated, it is known that the time around the
      solstices is usually associated with low geomagnetic activity.
      Conversely, the equinoxes are more prone to see higher geomagnetic
      activity, and aurora are more likely to be seen then.

      IMF Orientation : 6.0 nT North

      Solar activity is expected to be at very low to low levels. There is a
      very slight chance of an isolated low level M-class flare due to the
      magnetic complexity of Region 528.

      Geomagnetic activity forecast :
      The geomagnetic field is expected to be at quiet to unsettled levels.
      Isolated active conditions may be experienced late on 31 December due
      to the onset of a recurrent coronal hole high speed stream.

      26-Dec-2003 1928Z M1.5