    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 9, 2003
      ** G-2 Geomagnetic Storm In Progress **
      ** Aurora Watch In Effect **

      The Earth is now inside of the high speed solar wind stream I
      mentioned in my last report, and a moderate geomagnetic storm is in
      progress. The solar wind speed is within shouting distance of 700
      km/sec, and the interplanetary magnetic field had held onto its south
      pointing orientation. The geomagnetic storm actually began yesterday
      and has been fluctuating between G-1 and G-2 level. Skywatchers
      should keep an eye out for aurora, especially in the higher latitudes,
      and around the hours of local midnight. The active conditions are
      expected to last for at least the next 48 hours. The sunspot number
      is quite low, and neither of the two small sunspot regions appear to
      have any flare-generating potential. The background X-ray flux is as
      low as I remember seeing it.

      IMF Orientation : 4.9 nT South

      Conditions for the last 24 hours :
      Space weather for the past 24 hours has been minor. Geomagnetic storms
      reaching the G1 level occurred.

      Forecast for the next 24 hours :
      Space weather for the next 24 hours is expected to be minor.
      Geomagnetic storms reaching the G1 level are expected.

      Solar activity forecast :
      Solar activity is expected to continue to be very low.

      Geomagnetic activity forecast :
      The geomagnetic field is expected to be at active to minor storm
      levels through the period. This prolonged disturbance is attributable
      to the enhanced solar wind from a large coronal hole near mid-disk.