    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30, 2003
      formerly 486 and 488, are approaching the western limb of the solar
      disk. Fortunately, or unfortunately, depending on your viewpoint,
      they've been quiet this trip around. Contrast that with the
      incredible activity that we saw in October and early November. More
      beautiful aurora pictures are coming into spaceweather.com, and they
      now have 11 pages of pics in their aurora gallery, starting in early
      November. If you haven't seen it yet, take a look!
      http://science.nasa.gov/spaceweather/aurora/gallery_01nov03_page11.html
      Getting back to the present, there are now 8 numbered sunspot regions
      visible. For the time being, 506 and 508 are the only ones that
      appear to have any real flare potential, although as I said, they've
      been quiet. There is a small coronal hole that is now in an
      Earth-pointing position, and the solar wind speed is approaching 500
      km/sec after being down in the mid-300's yesterday. It doesn't look
      like we'll see any significant geomagnetic activity from this,
      however, and things should remain relatively calm for the next several
      days. I will qualify that by noting that the interplanetary magnetic
      field is in a south-pointing orientation. If that holds, don't rule
      out the possibility of some minor geomagnetic storm conditions.

      IMF Orientation : 4.3 nT South

      Solar activity is expected to be at low to moderate levels.

      Geomagnetic activity forecast :
      The geomagnetic field is expected to be at quiet to active levels.
      Isolated active conditions are anticipated beginning on 30 Nov and
      continuing through 1 Dec due to a recurrent transequatorial coronal
      hole speed stream. 2 Dec should experience a return to predominantly
      quiet levels.

      Recent sigfnificant solar flare activity :