    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 22, 2003
      ** G-1 Geomagnetic Storm In Progress **
      ** Aurora Watch In Effect **

      A minor geomagnetic storm is in progress, and my suspicion is that the
      CME from the M9.6 flare of the 20th has struck home, although the
      solar wind data doesn't really suggest that anything significant has
      happened. Oh well, time will tell. While sunspot regions 501, 507,
      and 508 all look to have the potential for generating significant
      flares, they've all three been quiet for the last couple of days, and
      the background X-ray flux is holding steady at the present time.
      Another possible cause for the current geomagnetic storm conditions is
      the fact that we may now be coming into the high speed solar wind
      stream from a coronal hole, although again, the solar wind data
      doesn't show anything really significant. We should have a better
      idea tomorrow of exactly what is doing what.

      IMF Orientation : 3.8 nT North

      Conditions for the last 24 hours :
      Space weather for the past 24 hours has been minor. Geomagnetic storms
      reaching the G1 level occurred.

      Forecast for the next 24 hours :
      Space weather for the next 24 hours is expected to be minor.
      Geomagnetic storms reaching the G1 level are expected. Radio blackouts
      reaching the R1 level are expected.

      Solar activity forecast :
      Solar activity is expected to be low to moderate. Regions 501, 507,
      and 508 may produce isolated major flares.

      Geomagnetic activity forecast :
      The geomagnetic field is expected to be at quiet to active levels,
      with isolated minor storm conditions on 23 November due to the effects
      of high speed solar wind streams associated with a coronal hole moving
      into geoeffective position.