    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 15, 2003
      ** G-1 Geomagnetic Storm In Progress **
      ** Aurora Watch in Effect **

      It appears as though the CME(s) I mentioned in my last report have
      arrived, and a G-1 geomagnetic storm is in progress. While the solar
      wind speed didn't increase much at all, peaking out at a little over
      400 km/sec, what did happen is that the Interplanetary Magnetic Field
      has tilted south. That has the effect of enhancing geomagnetic
      activity, so an aurora watch is in effect. A coronal is now in an
      Earth-pointing position, and we'll be seeing some high speed solar
      wind from it around the end of the week. If the IMF holds on to its
      south-pointing orientation, we could see some interesting geomagnetic
      activity. Save for a lone sunspot region, the face of the sun is
      blank tonight, giving a preview of what the bottom of the sunspot
      cycle will look like in a few years. Sunspot count fluctuations are
      common, however, so don't be surprised if the sunspot number picks
      back up in the days ahead.

      IMF Orientation : 8.6 nT South

      Conditions for the last 24 hours :
      Space weather for the past 24 hours has been minor. Geomagnetic storms
      reaching the G1 level occurred.

      Forecast for the next 24 hours :
      Space weather for the next 24 hours is expected to be minor.
      Geomagnetic storms reaching the G1 level are expected.

      Solar activity forecast :
      Solar activity is expected to persist at the low level.

      Geomagnetic activity forecast :
      The geomagnetic field is expected to be generally unsettled through 17
      September. The effects of a high speed solar wind stream are
      anticipated 18 September, as active to minor storm conditions are
      probable.