[Methane Hydrate Club] Newbie questions?

  • societal muse
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 19, 2003
      As a new comer to this list and to the issue of global warming in general,
      I'd like to ask some "newbie" questions if I may:

      1-I assume that the world's frozen methane hydrate reserves are under a much
      increasingly intense study by both concerned scientist/environmentalist
      community and that of the energy community, the former wary and looking for
      the "trigger point", the latter looking for it's exploitation as an energy
      source?

      2-I've read accounts of the 250mya Permian Extinction which theorize that
      an initial meteor hit set off a +5�C rise in global temperatures, which in
      turn triggered a release of frozen methane, yielding another 5�C rise for a
      total of 10�C. My question is, how was the now gaseous, methane hydrate
      recaptured and frozen again, allowing the planet to cool back down to it's
      pre-Permian level? Was it always a continuous process?

      3-Last question, once we know for sure that a global temperature rise of X
      (expected to be 5�C) would trigger a release of methane hydrate AND we know
      for sure that hydrocarbon fuels are actually raising the earth's atmospheric
      temperature (public admission of such by top Republican politicians and the
      oil companies), will we still be able to reverse or just stop global
      warming?

      Thanks.

      Societal_Muse

      <b>Get MSN 8</b> and help protect your children with advanced parental
      controls. http://join.msn.com/?page=features/parental
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 19, 2003
        --- In methanehydrateclub@yahoogroups.com, "societal muse"
        <societal_muse@h...> wrote:
        > As a new comer to this list and to the issue of global warming in
        general,
        > I'd like to ask some "newbie" questions if I may:
        >
        > 1-I assume that the world's frozen methane hydrate reserves are
        under a much
        > increasingly intense study by both concerned
        scientist/environmentalist
        > community and that of the energy community, the former wary and
        looking for
        > the "trigger point", the latter looking for it's exploitation as
        an energy
        > source?

        But no one with electrical/EMF training or biological training is
        looking at them . . . yet. Hydrates are electrically insulating.
        Indeed, they are located in one methode by trolling electrodes and
        seeking conductivity anomalies. Trigger points are particularly a
        poor way of looking at a biological feedback. If the hydrates don't
        form, the area becomes like an exposed wire--and cannot conduct
        large scale low freq EMF as well--and the cloud feedbacks should
        cool. The issue, from my bio leanings, is modulations and defects
        in biological feedback loops, which include chemistry as well as
        temperature modulations.

        > 2-I've read accounts of the 250mya Permian Extinction which
        theorize that
        > an initial meteor hit set off a +5°C rise in global temperatures,
        which in
        > turn triggered a release of frozen methane, yielding another 5°C
        rise for a
        > total of 10°C. My question is, how was the now gaseous, methane
        hydrate
        > recaptured and frozen again, allowing the planet to cool back down
        to it's
        > pre-Permian level? Was it always a continuous process?

        The recent 60 My event of the astroid in the GOM was much more
        interesting because it was followed by very cold period--according
        to the paleo evidence. This makes sense for hydrates to unform and
        then for the electrically insulating properties to be dramatically
        harmed. CO2 is much more of an interesting forcing ELECTRICALLY,
        but it should be tempered with the idea that it is a modulated
        reality, not a chaotic one, with very subtile signals getting
        modulated into something meaningful that the biosphere can amplify
        and use. Defects in feedback loops will not allow this to happen.

        > 3-Last question, once we know for sure that a global temperature
        rise of X
        > (expected to be 5°C) would trigger a release of methane hydrate
        AND we know
        > for sure that hydrocarbon fuels are actually raising the earth's
        atmospheric
        > temperature (public admission of such by top Republican
        politicians and the
        > oil companies), will we still be able to reverse or just stop
        global
        > warming?

        It is not chaos then, chaos now, burn fossil fuels, but modulation
        then, modulation now, be careful of living feedback loops.
        Removing 30 gigatons of CO2 every year from what is not in the
        biosphere and burning directly into the lungs of the biosphere is
        going to have both direct electrical impact and indirect biological
        impact. Hydrates unforming by warming temperatures is more
        dangerous for droughts in regions that depend on the electrical
        insulating propertie of the hydrates. Active areas of the biosphere
        will uptake the carbon and feedback insulation, and with more life,
        conductivity, so you end up with extremes. If those extremes then
        lead to less modulation, they you get temperature and chemistry and
        ecology instabilities. To me, the most important measure of the
        instability of climate from human influences is the decreasing earth
        EMF, which has become 8 percent less intense over the past 100
        years, and 10 percent over the past 150.