    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 8, 2003
      ** Aurora Watch In Effect **

      The solar wind speed has risen up close to 700 km/sec, and there have
      been G-1 geomnagnetic storm conditions within the last 24 hours. An
      aurora watch remains in effect. The coronal hole that is producing
      the high speed solar wind we're experiencing is a large and somewhat
      oddly-shaped. The current conditions should persist for about the
      next 24 hours or so, and then the solar wind speeds will begin to die
      down. However, it will only be a short interval before another part
      of the same coronal hole complex that is affecting us now starts
      blowing some more solar wind gusts our way. Both sunspot regions 424
      and 425 now span ten Earth-diameters end-to-end, and both have the
      potential for generating an M-class flare. A quick check of the
      background X-ray flux shows it to be holding steady, so I wouldn't
      expect to see any major flare activity for the time being.

      Solar wind density : 1.0

      IMF Orientation : 2.5 nT North

      Conditions for the last 24 hours :
      Space weather for the past 24 hours has been minor. Geomagnetic storms
      reaching the G1 level occurred.

      Solar activity is expected to be at low to moderate levels. Region 424
      has the potential for isolated M-class events. Activity from the east
      limb is likely to continue and possibly increase over the next three days.

      Geomagnetic activity forecast :
      The geomagnetic field is expected to be at unsettled to minor storm
      levels. Active to minor storm conditions are possible on day one of
      the period. On day two and three of the period high speed stream
      effects are expected to diminish resulting in quiet to unsettled
      conditions.