Re: coronal holes and magnetic lines of the sun

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 5, 2003
      --- In methanehydrateclub@yahoogroups.com, SOAZ <group@s...> wrote:
      > I looked everywhere for the distance the magnetic lines go from the
      > sun but couldn't find anything. Did you??
      > There are so many earth facing coronal holes but I wish we could view
      > them from every perspective instead of just from the earth.

      Neither could I. As I said, the supposition is that they do
      eventually reconnect somewhere, but that somewhere could be a very
      long way out. I did find these little tidbits :

      "Coronal holes appear dark areas of the corona when viewed in
      ultraviolet light. This elongated hole area from January 11, 2002 was
      one of the largest seen by SOHO. Although they are usually located at
      the poles of the Sun, coronal holes can occur other places as well.
      The magnetic field lines in a coronal hole extend out into the solar
      wind rather than coming back down to the Sun's surface as they do in
      other parts of the Sun. Thus, they are often the source of strong
      solar wind gusts that carry solar particles into space and possibly
      impact the Earth."

      http://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/pickoftheweek/old/15jan2002/

      Lengthy, but interesting :
      http://solar-heliospheric.engin.umich.edu/Publications/soho7_len.html

      Also interesting :
      http://isass1.solar.isas.ac.jp/nuggets/2002/020111/020111.html

      As you read these, you may get a sense that we don't exactly know
      everything there is to know about the sun. That would be quite
      correct. Scientists didn't know that such things as Coronal Mass
      Ejections and coronal holes even existed until the 1970's when the
      first solar observing and X-ray satellites were launched. Solar and
      geomagnetic physics are fields of study within themselves, and
      numerous books have been written on the subjects. Albert Einstein
      said that how Earth's magnetic field is generated was one of the great
      mysteries of physics. That statement still holds true today. While
      it's assumed that it has something to do with the motion and
      convection of liquid iron deep within Earth's interior, nobody is sure
      of the exact mechanism.