I've got a question for you.............

  • midlantwx
    Message 1 of 702 , Feb 7, 2001
      Your Club has gotten me thoroughly interested in
      Methane Hydrate.<br><br>I'm now going to set up a whole
      page on my website devoted to Methane Hydrate, because
      I've become very concerned about its role in planetary
      climate and in the climatic feedback loops.<br><br>I
      recently read a book about global warming. Global warming
      could lead to warming of the Arctic and Antarctic
      regions. In Global Warming, it's the Arctic and Antarctic
      regions that see the greatest climatic deviations. This
      warming could lead to glacial melt and runoff, which runs
      into the arctic oceans. The diluted salt content of
      the arctic seas leads to more warming of the arctic
      oceans, which in turn could bring about a truly serious
      situation: Major alterations in the North Atlantic Current
      and other similar ocean currents around the world.
      These ocean current alterations could then bring about
      major weather changes on progressively larger scales,
      until the changes would involve the entire planet and
      initiate what is called a Superstorm, which would involve
      storms on scales never before experienced by modern man.
      These climatic changes would ultimately lead to another
      ice age.<br><br>My question is, What role would
      Methane Hydrates play in such a situation?? Could MH
      contribute to such a scenario?? Are we headed in that
      direction??<br><br>Global Warming already is causing ice sheets worldwide
      to disintegrate.<br><br>-midlantwx
      Message 702 of 702 , Mar 1 9:47 PM
        On Feb 28th, the Interplanetary Magnetic Field
        swung to a strong south-pointing orientation. That,
        coupled with an elevated solar wind speed and density,
        triggered a G-1 class geomagnetic storm. The result was
        some high latitude aurora. See this link for a
        photgraph of aurora observed over Quebec :
        namely 9839, 9842, and 9845, that appear to be capable
        of producing M-class flares. Regions 9839 and 9842
        are close to rotating out of view over the western
        limb of the solar disk. Sunspot region 9845, however,
        is close to the sun's central meridian. A rather
        large coronal hole is also approaching the sun's
        central meridian, and coming into an Earth-pointing
        position. High speed colar wind gusts are likely around the
        first of next week.<br><br>The current solar and
        geomagnetic conditions are :<br><br>NOAA sunspot number :
        wind speed : 372.3 km/sec<br>Solar wind density : 4.4
        the last 24 hours : <br>Solar activity was low. The
        geomagnetic field was quiet to unsettled. Stratwarm Alert
        exists Friday.<br><br>Forecast for the next 24 hours
        :<br>Solar activity will be low to moderate. The geomagnetic
        field will be quiet to unsettled.<br><br>Solar Activity
        Forecast :<br>Solar activity is expected to be low to
        moderate for the next three days. Region 9845 is a
        possible source for isolated M-class
        is expected to be mainly quiet to unsettled, until
        the onset of high speed stream effects from a
        recurrent coronal hole begin to develop by day three of the
        forecast period. Isolated active conditions are
        anticipated thereafter.<br><br>Recent significant solar flare
        activity :<br>None