    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 12, 2003
      ** Aurora Watch In Effect **

      The last 48 hours have been an amazing time for solar activity.
      Sunspot region 375 is close to rotating over the western limb of the
      solar disk, but not before producing, in conjunction with sunspot
      region 380, 22 significant flares during the last 48 hours. Yes, I
      said 22! At one time on the 11th, the BACKGROUND X-ray flux actually
      in the M-class flare category. I've never seen that, even during the
      peak of the current sunspot cycle. That was truly remarkable. There
      were a fair number of CME's produced, but none big enough to write
      home about. Nevertheless, we could likely see a sting of CME arrivals
      over the next few days. Combine that with coronal hole effects, and
      we could very well see some geomagnetic storm conditions. Therefore,
      keep an eye out for some aurora over the next several days. Here's a
      view of the Southern Lights as seen from the International Space
      Station captured last week.
      http://science.nasa.gov/ppod/y2003/12jun_auroras.htm?list161332

      IMF Orientation : 3.5 nT South

      Conditions for the last 24 hours :
      Space weather for the past 24 hours has been minor. Radio blackouts
      reaching the R1 level occurred.

      Forecast for the next 24 hours :
      Space weather for the next 24 hours is expected to be moderate. Radio
      blackouts reaching the R2 level are expected.

      Solar activity forecast :
      Solar activity is expected to be moderate to high. Regions 375 and 380
      remain capable of producing major flare activity.

      Geomagnetic activity forecast :
      The geomagnetic field is expected to be quiet to unsettled through day
      three, with possible active conditions on day two due to elevated
      solar wind speeds as a coronal hole passes into geoeffective position.
      Active conditions on day two might also be the result of potential
      effects of CMEs related to major flare and erupting filament activity
      observed on 11 June 03.

      Recent significant solar flare activity (Take a good look at this.
      RARELY will you ever see this kind of sustained flare activity) :

      12-Jun-2003 2127Z M2.6
      12-Jun-2003 1712Z M1.1
      12-Jun-2003 1403Z M1.0
      12-Jun-2003 0130Z M7.3