Re: UHIs and comments

    Message 1 of 3 , May 25, 2003
      >To my surprise, Atlanta had a study for the olympics that showed that
      there was an increased chance of thunderstorms in the afternoon, <

      That in itself is not unusual for the southeastern US during the
      summer. You could post a forecast in early June that said, "Hazy,
      hot, and humid, with a 30% chance of afternoon and evening
      thunderstorms" and let it run through early September, and most days
      you'd be right.
      Message 2 of 3 , May 25, 2003
        Perhaps I wasn't clear about the study--it compared greater Atlanta,
        which is a big sprawling burb now, certainly large enough for
        coriolis to kick it even as large scale a forcing as it is. It
        compared greater Atlanta to the nearby area and found that the city
        was hit with more storms at a specified time of day and specified
        place in the urban area--the southern sector. The result was
        statistically significant and matched what I had observed in the
        outbreak with Wichita, Tulsa and OKC.