Re: Solar Activity Report for 5/15/03

    Message 1 of 4 , May 16, 2003
      I did get to see it.

      What I am waiting on is what "gravity waves" may have come of it, and
      perhaps to get a picture of cosmic ray flux on cloud behavior as a
      result!

      > ** Aurora Watch In Effect **
      >
      > Before I get to the solar activity report, there's something
      happening
      > tonight that you really should see if you have clear skies.
      There's a
      > total lunar eclipse! Wander outside and give it a look.
      > Unfortunately, all I can see is rain and clouds!
      >
      > The solar wind speed is still well above the 600 km/sec mark, and
      > aurora are a possibility tonight. Overall, however, activity is
      > winding down, and is expected to continue to do so over the next few
      > days. The Earth is exiting a high speed solar wind stream, and the
      > solar wind speed is slowly declining. This is probably the last
      night
      > there will be a solid possibility of aurora unless something
      > unexpected happens. Now, there is a small coronal hole that's in an
      > Earth-pointing position, and we might see some brief solar wind
      gusts
      > along or about the 19th, although I'm not really expecting much from
      > it. The sunspot number has increased a little, as has the backgroud
      > X-ray flux. However, none of the sunspot regions visible look at
      have
      > any real potential for generating significant flares at this time.
      >
      > The current solar and geomagnetic conditions are :
      >
      > NOAA sunspot number : 97
      > SFI : 99
      > A index : 22
      > K index : 3
      >
      > Solar wind speed : 625.0 km/sec
      > Solar wind density : 3.5 protons/cc
      > Solar wind pressure : 2.2 nPa
      >
      > IMF : 3.9 nT
      > IMF Orientation : 2.1 nT North
      >
      > Conditions for the last 24 hours :
      > No space weather storms were observed for the past 24 hours.
      >
      > Forecast for the next 24 hours :
      > No space weather storms are expected for the next 24 hours.
      >
      > Solar activity forecast :
      > Solar activity is expected to be very low, with possible increase in
      > activity over the next few days due to active regions emerging from
      > the east limb. New region 362 may produce isolated flare activity.
      >
      > Geomagnetic activity forecast :
      > The geomagnetic field is expected to be at unsettled to active
      levels
      > for the next three days. Solar wind speeds should continue to reduce
      > over the next few days, and may cause isolated minor storm levels on
      > day one.
      >
      > Recent significant solar flare activity :
      > None
    • mike
      Message 2 of 4 , May 17, 2003
        http://www.campaignexxonmobil.org/pdf/Financial.pdf

        Very official looking info in appearance and source. A British
        insurance industry expert claims that $ losses due to natural
        disaster is rising 12% per an. while average world GDP growth weighs
        in at a puny 3% per an. Since RATES of growth are dealt with, we are
        dealing with those nasty exponential (interest rate growth) curves
        again.

        12 to 3 in this racket is rough: "..value of damage
        due to natural hazards could exceed the world's wealth by 2065".
        Simply put, damage losses outstrip growth and by a big margin.

        Even if all this is due to Mother Nature's natural cycles and has
        nothing to do with CO2 level increases, it seems that prudence alone
        should be sounding a wake up call to try to get a handle on the
        problem. Of course, my view is that it is a double wammy of poor growth
        planning respecting Gaia and defects in living earth feedbacks changing
        EMF patterns.