    Message 1 of 5 , May 7, 2003
      ** G-1 Geomagnetic Storm In Progress **
      ** Aurora Watch In Effect **

      The Solar wind speed is within shoutin' distance of 800 km/sec, and
      there's a geomagnetic magnetic storm in progress. The geomagnetic
      storm level was at the G-2 (moderate) level earlier today. Other than
      that, no, not much happening. Why? But seriously folks, the
      geomagnetic conditions have been active over the last 48 hours due to
      coronal hole effects, and are expected to remain that way for at least
      the next 24 hours. We should start to see a bit of a decline after
      that, or at least that's what's forecasted. Personally, I wouldn't be
      a bit surprised to see things drag out a bit longer. This is a pretty
      large coronal hole. As I expected, the sunspot number is dropping off
      as most of the major sunspots regions rotate out of view. A couple of
      numbered regions are still visible, but they don't look to have much
      in the way of flare-producing potential for the time being.

      The current solar and geomnagnetic conditions are :

      IMF Orientation : 4.1 nT South

      Conditions for the last 24 hours :
      Space weather for the past 24 hours has been moderate. Geomagnetic
      storms reaching the G2 level occurred.

      Forecast for the next 24 hours :
      Space weather for the next 24 hours is expected to be minor.
      Geomagnetic storms reaching the G1 level are expected. Radio blackouts
      reaching the R1 level are expected.

      Solar activity forecast :
      Solar activity is expected to be predominantly low, but there is a
      fair chance for an isolated M-class event sometime during the next
      three days. An overall downward trend in activity levels and in the
      background levels is expected over the next three days with the
      departure of regions 348 and 349.

      Geomagnetic activity forecast :
      The geomagnetic field is expected to be mostly active for the next 24
      hours, with a chance for some isolated storm intervals, as the current
      high speed solar wind stream is expected to continue. A slight decline
      in activity levels to unsettled to active is expected on the second
      and third days. Conditions should stay somewhat elevated relative to
      quiet, however, as a new coronal hole will be rotating into a
      geoeffective location.

      (PS - Please forgive any spelling errors, omissions, or excessive
      silliness. I really shouldn't try to do this while under the
      influence of strong painkillers due to a tooth that went kablooey, and
      listening to "Comfortably Numb" by Pink Floyd didn't help any! OOOOO,
      look at the nice flying kangaroos!...)
    • mike
      Message 2 of 5 , May 9, 2003
        Remember that diet I was telling you all about? I was at 267 and now am
        under 240. I took off my shirt last night and my better half told me I
        was losing my boobs!

        Much of the last 10 pounds can be directly credited to a lousy fever--
        that I am still burning up with. At this rate I see 230 by Monday!

        Good with the bad.

        Message 3 of 5 , May 9, 2003
          --- In methanehydrateclub@yahoogroups.com, "mike" <mike@u...> wrote:
          > Remember that diet I was telling you all about? I was at 267 and
          now am
          > under 240. I took off my shirt last night and my better half told me I
          > was losing my boobs!

          Yikes! Sorry to hear about the fever! That's no fun. The tooth is
          much better, thank you, responding very nicely to erethromycin. I'm
          allergic to penicillin, so the e-mycin is my dentist's antibiotic of
          choice for me. If you would, refresh my memory about the diet. I
          might be interested in that myself.

          Oh, Pink Floyd helped...helped me become more incoherent! Then again,
          I suppose that's the whole idea, isn't it? :-D
        • mike
          Message 4 of 5 , May 11, 2003
            David Wrote:

            If you would, refresh my memory about the
            > diet. I might be interested in that myself.<

            It's really nothing special--especially considering that it has failed
            repeatedly at doing anything significant to the wieght.

            But basically I try to avoid sugars and carbs and eat a lot of eggs, that
            I prepare by removing the yokes in all of the eggs except for one, or I
            get that carton egg beaters, which is basically yolk free. I also allow
            nuts and take in a drink form, or mixed with my eggs, flaxseed flour.
            Between the nuts and the flaxseed, it helps you be regular even without
            much food.

            Then small and frequent protien meals, like I'll have a can of tuna fish
            for lunch and that's it.

            Lately I added too much cheese to the diet and had leveled off around 245-
            250. Starting from 267 I couldn't complain too much.

            Then I got this fever. Burning me up.

            I have been sick about a week now and what I have been doing is taking
            vitimins with flax seed flour and that's about it.

            Yesterday I peaked at 230 and drank a bunch of water and am back to 235--
            but that still is a huge drop from 267. And looking at myself at 230 I
            know I could go another 20 down and that would basically be a 60 drop in
            weight.

            Being sick with the fever was key. Normally, when you eat less your
            metabolism goes down so it is a losing proposition. And since you feel
            weak and dizzy anyway, you might as well not eat when you are sick.
            Message 5 of 5 , May 11, 2003
              Interesting! Sounds like a variation of the Atkins diet. Although if
              it's all the same to you, I think I'll skip the getting sick part!