Re: Cloud physics research

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 13, 2003
      This is vert interesting, Mike! Let me run this past you. A more
      active sun means a more energetic and denser solar wind. On a solar
      system-wide scale, this will serve to expand the sun's heliosphere,
      and also to provide something of a shield against incoming extra-solar
      cosmic rays. Conversely, an inactive sun will allow more cosmic rays
      to penetrate deeper into the solar system, and therefore reach Earth.
      According to the article, more cosmic rays means, at least
      theoretically, more clouds.

      So, an inactive sun could have a double-whammy on Earth's climate!
      One, decreased solar energy output will obviously mean less energy
      getting to Earth. That means cooling for Earth. Now, we can possibly
      add in the effect of more cosmic rays meaning more cloud cover, which
      will further reduce the amount of solar energy reaching the Earth's
      surface. More cooling! One could easily see how an extended period
      of solar inactivity could lead to an ice age!
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 13, 2003
        David,

        I just wish I could give you years of biological education in a
        paragraph or two, but I would have to disagree again with your
        characterization. Understand this isn't about hot and cold but about
        MODULATED hot and cold. IOWs if I put you in a heated room your body
        temperature stays at 98.6 degrees--and you sweat. But if you catch a
        cold your body temperature rises.

        What the cosmic rays would do is increase the protons to ground and
        how the ocean terresphere EMF balance is modulated by the biosphere.
        Once an area is frozen the hydrology ends and so do river feedbacks.
        IOWs what we are talking about is the RISK of putting a neo glacier
        on and how long it takes for the sun to melt it back without
        precipitation replacing it.

        This is why we see storms w/ the elevated PROTON wind. But that
        doesn't mean that these storms are not modulated by the biosphere and
        the EMF control it exerts . . .

        So it again comes back to feedback loops and DEFECTS in them by a
        fossil fuel subsidized culture--or a culture that messes w/ its
        hydrology, and therefore the modulating biosphere in the deltas of
        this hydrology . . .