  • David <b1blancer1@earthlink.net>
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 22, 2003
      The high speed solar wind is continuing, and doing so longer than I
      would have thought. The solar wind speed has been elevated since the
      15th, although geomagnetic activity has been mostly subdued, save for
      a couple of aurora outbreaks in Alaska. I honestly don't know how
      long the high speed solar wind will last. There is another small
      coronal hole that is coming into an Earth-pointing position, and the
      high speed solar wind from it should be arriving on or about the 26th.
      Therefore, the solar wind speed could stay elevated for several more
      days. There are only two numbered sunspot regions visible tonight,
      and the sunspot number is correspondingly low. However, one of those
      sunspot regions, region 290, has at least an outside chance of
      producing an M-class flare.

      IMF Orientation : 0.4 nT South

      Solar activity is expected to be low.

      Geomagnetic activity forecast :
      The geomagnetic field is expected to be unsettled for the next three days.