  • David <b1blancer1@earthlink.net>
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 4 7:54 PM
      ** Aurora Watch in Effect **

      The CME arrival of two days ago has kept the solar wind speed
      elevated, and this evening it's hovering around the 600 km/sec mark.
      G-1 class (minor) geomagnetic storms have been happening on and off
      for the last 24 hours. Some great aurora displays have been seen and
      photographed in Alaska, as can been seen here :
      http://science.nasa.gov/spaceweather/aurora/gallery_01feb03.htm . An
      aurora watch remains in effect as a result of the high solar wind
      speed, and there could be more activity on the way. A coronal hole is
      in an Earth-pointing position. We should be seeing the high speed
      solar wind gusts from it sometime on the 4th. There are three
      numbered sunspot regions visible tonight. Region 276 poses a slim
      threat for M-class flares.

      Solar wind speed : 603.8 nT
      Solar wind density : 1.7 nPa

      IMF Orientation : 0.4 nT South

      Conditions for the last 24 hours :
      Space weather for the past 24 hours has been minor. Geomagnetic storms
      reaching the G1 level occurred.

      Forecast forecast for the next 24 hours :

      Solar activity is expected to be mostly low, but there is a slight
      chance for an isolated M-class event from regions 276, 277, or 278
      sometime during the next three days.

      Geomagnetic activity forecast :
      The geomagnetic field is expected to be mostly unsettled tomorrow,
      with a chance for some isolated active periods later in the day. An
      increase to active levels is expected for the second day due to
      favorable position of coronal hole.

    • Mike Doran <mike@usinter.net>
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 5 8:48 AM
        Fiona forms South of Java...