Thanks for poem--I passed it on

  • Mike Doran <mike@usinter.net>
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 3, 2003
      Feb 2 in history--earliest Atlantic
      TS:http://messageboards.weather.com/3/OpenTopic?
      a=tpc&s=253291764&f=4792989145&m=4802908496

      And Gaia / sun activity perhaps why.

      Dave--could you get CME or at least sun spot activity for 1051-52?
    • David <b1blancer1@earthlink.net>
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 3, 2003
        > And Gaia / sun activity perhaps why.
        >
        > Dave--could you get CME or at least sun spot activity for 1051-52?

        I can help you with the latter, but not the former. You can get the
        daily sunspot numbers for 1951 and 1952 here :
        ftp://ftp.ngdc.noaa.gov/STP/SOLAR_DATA/SUNSPOT_NUMBERS/ . 1951 was
        several years into the downside of the sunspot cycle, and the yearly
        sunspot average for 1951 was 69.4 1952 was mere 31.5. That's not to
        say, however, that there weren't any Coronal Mass Ejections. One of
        the strongest solar flares ever observed was recorded in 1989, near
        the bottom of the sunspot cycle. Aurora were spotted as far south as
        the Carolinas, and power grids were crashed in Canada.

        As far as CME's, scientists didn't even know there was such a thing
        until they were observed by the Orbiting Solar Observatory satellite
        in 1971. The solar corona had been observed during solar eclipses for
        thousands of years, but it took the advent of the space age to
        discover CME's.