Closer

  • Mike Doran <mike@usinter.net>
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 27, 2003
      http://www.nature.com/cgi-taf/DynaPage.taf?
      file=/nature/journal/v419/n6903/abs/nature01087_fs.html

      Reducing uncertainty about carbon dioxide as a climate driver

      LEE R. KUMP

      Department of Geosciences and NASA Astrobiology Institute, The
      Pennsylvania State University, University Park, Pennsylvania 16802,
      USA (e-mail: lkump@...)

      The lack of an adequate ancient analogue for future climates means
      that we ultimately must use and trust climate models, evaluated
      against modern observation and our best geologic records of warm and
      cold climates of the past. Armed with an elevated confidence in the
      models, we will then be able to make reliable predictions of the
      Earth's response to our risky experiment with the climate system.

      Comment:

      This first one is more state of the science. More CO2 merely as a GHG-
      -no understanding of the feedbacks, EMFs and cirrus. Nada. So it is
      crap.

      It does have a nice graph of the correlations to global climate temps
      as to CO2 from the ice core data. What I have to say about that is
      look at the 100,000 year valleys--again that is what the Danes are
      talking about w/ respect to gamma rays.

      Here is the Gaia concern. It is not chaos then, chaos now--gamma rays
      coming every 100,000 years so build a fossil fuel civilization for
      tomorrow we need heating oil BUT MODULATION THEN, MODULATION NOW.

      Imagine if you were to go outside in the cold and your skin started
      to feel it BUT you did not shiver? Or you went outside in hot, humid
      conditions and did not sweat? Pretty soon you would be cold or hot--
      and dead. If anything, understanding these cycles, particularly in
      places we know are not going to get iced over, is even more reason to
      be protective of our hydrology and biosphere! Not the reverse. We
      need to not just form a symbiotic relationship with the microbrial
      biosphere but perhaps take it to the next level and make Gaia
      feedbacks more effective. What we are doing now is putting out the
      fire with gasoline . . .