Re: Lawmakers "tackle" Global Warming--and whiff

  • fredwx1 <fredwx1@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 13, 2003
      <By blind luck, this happens to cause a steady state of the Gaia
      microbrial feedbacks that bring siesmic and hydrological stability to
      a region. > How does this effect siesmic activity?

      Secondly, In an effort to reduce CO2 emmisions, how might a move to
      hydrogen based fuels effect Gaia?

      --- In methanehydrateclub@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Doran <mike@u...>"
      <mike@u...> wrote:

      http://www.weather.com/newscenter/topstories/030109globalwarmingpropos
> [...]
      > and to 1990 levels by 2016.
      >
      > Their bill would affect power plants, manufacturers, petroleum
      > refiners and other large-scale commercial sources, and set up a
      > trading system similar to one created to fight acid rain.
      >
      > Rep. Jay Inslee, D-Wash., on Wednesday called the bill "a
      commonsense
      > and economically viable way to reduce the downside of global
      > warming."
      >
      > Rep. Earl Blumenauer, D-Ore., called it the best environmental news
      > of the new year.
      >
      > But the proposal faces strong opposition from the Bush
      administration
      > and Republican leaders in the Senate.
      >
      > Sen. James Inhofe, R-Okla., the new chairman of the Senate
      > Environment Committee, has no interest in the McCain-Lieberman
      bill,
      > said Inhofe's spokesman, Gary Hoitsma.
      >
      > "We're going to be more supportive of the Bush administration's
      > approach to this issue, which is not to move toward a mandatory
      > regulatory regime," Hoitsma said. "I can't see the committee ...
      > moving a bill that the president's not going to sign."
      >
      > Environmental groups praised Lieberman and McCain for helping jump-
      > start the debate over global climate change.
      >
      > Many scientists believe that the burning of fossil fuels is causing
      > an increase in atmospheric carbon dioxide, triggering what is
      called
      > the greenhouse effect. A higher concentration of carbon dioxide in
      > the atmosphere would trap more of the sun's heat, possibly causing
      > temperatures to rise.
      >
      > Inslee, who has called for a national commitment to develop clean
      > energy similar to the 1960s effort to explore space, called the new
      > proposal important substantively and symbolically. By introducing
      it
      > the week Congress convened, the two senators showed the importance
      of
      > climate change, he said.
      >
      > The bill itself "is a very important step forward for the Pacific
      > Northwest, because we have some very acute problems that we are
      > likely to face if we don't come to grips and take some positive
      steps
      > here in Congress," Inslee said.
      >
      > Eastern Washington irrigated farms, for instance, could be at risk
      in
      > coming years because of a potential reduction in winter snowpack as
      > result of global warming, Inslee said. With less snow, there's also
      > risk that the entire Columbia River system will have to be greatly
      > expanded to keep pace with the region's demand for hydroelectric
      > power, he said.
      >
      > "Snowpack is like a giant electric battery," Inslee said. "Without
      it
      > it's harder to capture precipitation and you have reduced electric
      > capacity."
      >
      > Blumenauer, who attended the World Summit on Sustainable
      Development

    • Mike Doran <mike@usinter.net>
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 13, 2003
        --- In methanehydrateclub@yahoogroups.com, "fredwx1 <fredwx1@y...>"
        <fredwx1@y...> wrote:
        > <By blind luck, this happens to cause a steady state of the Gaia
        > microbrial feedbacks that bring siesmic and hydrological stability
        > a region. > How does this effect siesmic activity?

        Simply because hydrates are less dense then ocean water--but are
        compositied with the sediments and cemented to the base rock. If
        there is MH instability it unforms and the methane is dissolved in
        the ocean water and the water is free to flow upwards--and the
        sediments free to move down. This impacts the DENSITY of a given
        strata and like a tube of toothpaste getting squeezed impacts siesmic
        zones--such as the one here in the NW as the ocean plate slips under
        the land plate and sediments are scrapped off to form the coastal
        mountains. There is further genetic proof the the causal link--in
        that sulfur loving archae, although not as closely related as the
        methanogens and salt loving archae are, remain genetically connected
        to the other two archae--over huge timescales. This is improbable
        without the symbiotic connection of siesmic activity because the
        source of sulfur is tectonic!

        > Secondly, In an effort to reduce CO2 emmisions, how might a move to
        > hydrogen based fuels effect Gaia?

        If methane is burned there is less carbon per energy unit. Indeed
        the move by the biosphere itself to methane probably has some
        evolutionary logic in the same way--due to how CO2 changes
        conductivity as much as it does when concentrated. But on a more
        serious note the use of hydrates would have a profound EMF/Gaia
        implication--like stripping the insulation off of a wire on the
        ground. However, as we learn these mechanisms and the chaotic
        stimulas involved--that might be the desired impact. Much to learn
        here!

        This is why this is one of coolest discussion groups on the web!

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 13, 2003
        • David <b1blancer1@earthlink.net>
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 13, 2003
            Mike, take a look at these.

            http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/images/west_antarctic/tchga1.gif
            http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/images/west_antarctic/tchgb1.gif

            As you can see, the earth is now cooler than it was a mere 5000 years
            ago, and substantially cooler than it was 100,000 years ago. In fact,
            we are just now really recovering from the last ice age. If the
            temperature estimates on those graphs are correct, then the earth
            undergoes a significant warm-up about every 100,000 years, and we're
            due for one now. The pattern seems to hold quite well for the last
            400,000 years or so. As can also be seen, when the warm-up occurs, it
            does so quite suddenly, as does the cool-down that follows several
            thousand years later.

            I believe that the Earth is indeed warming, and that it's doing so
            right on schedule. Modern man, and by modern I mean within the last
            10,000 years, has actually only been around for what is a relatively
            cool period in Earth's climate history. We haven't seen a warm period,
            which is what we're headed for now. For that matter, the polar ice
            caps are only a relatively recent feature. There have been times when
            they didn't exist.

            Your thoughts Mike? Anybody?
          • fredwx1 <fredwx1@yahoo.com>
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 14, 2003
              I meant to ask about burning hydrogen itself instead of hydrocarbon
              compounds like methane.

              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 18, 2003
                The LIA is a Keeling Whorf tidal movement that unforms MHs, IMHO.
                That is a 1900 year cycle and we are mid range in that.

                There may be some gamma ray issues that impact the water vapor cycle.

                The question isn't these oscillations but the biosphere's modulation
                of those random inputs.

                IOW it isn't chaos then chaos now but modulation then modulation now--
                the question you ask is fair but not correct.

                Human changes can result in temperatures that are in line with life
                but then a body can be dead but situated in a room temperature that
                is 98.7 degrees F. and appear alive. Such is the Dust Bowl, the
                fires in Colorado and Arizona, the drought in the SW during an "El
                Nino" and so forth.

                --- In methanehydrateclub@yahoogroups.com, "David <b1blancer1@e...>"