Re: Zoe

  • Mike Doran <mike@usinter.net>
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 8, 2003
      http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/NaturalHazards/Archive/Jan2003/zoe_se
      a2002362_lrg.jpg

      If you get a chance to load this huge picture of Zoe it contains some
      fantastic imagery where you can see fair weather to convective
      voltages--Doran waves, once you get past the tropical aspects of the
      storm. If you take the first aspect of fair weather voltages -- to
      the right of the 'a' in Fatutaka which hooks NW and then SW and
      around the storm-- you can see the Doran waves. Understand over the
      eye itself there is huge negative voltages accumulated in the
      ionsphere. Then the disk over the major convective regions contains
      huge, therefore, positive voltages in the ionosphere which allows the
      cirrus to spin around the eye at great hieghts, aided by EMFs,
      without shorting by sprite or elve accross the attractive zone.

      As the storm becomes extra tropical, that is where I find the most
      compelling visual data for EMF activity and cloud dynamic behavior.
      In particular look at the Island of New Caledonia--how the blow off
      of the high clouds just to the NE of that island in the fair weather
      areas are directional away from Zoe's center and wispy in the way
      that you would see in a 60's glass electric ball you might find in
      people's bedroom. Then to the SW of the island, where either a
      combination of the island's mountains and thermal uplift or its EMF
      to ground cause the back side of the convective activity on the
      island to be enhanced such that this side of the island is fully fair
      weather with large voltages to ground. There is a similar effect
      with Vanuatu--although the EMF and upper level winds from Zoe are so
      powerful that the Doran wave banding is able to largely
      continue . . .

      During this period, again, the solar wind was strongly elevated from
      an earth directed CME.

      ++++++

      http://www.weather.com/newscenter/topstories/030108southasiadeaths.htm

      Hundreds die from the cold
      Wed, Jan. 08, 2003 9:18 AM ET

      By the Associated Press

      DHAKA, Bangladesh (AP) Nearly 400 people have died of cold in
      Bangladesh and northern India in the past 10 days as temperatures
      plummeted and cold winds swept in from the Himalayas, officials and
      news reports said Wednesday.

      The cold sweeping across northern Bangladesh caused 60 deaths this
      week, raising the toll to 260, media reports said.

      Temperatures dipped into the 30s and 40s Fahrenheit - dangerous
      levels in impoverished India and Bangladesh, where millions of people
      live without heat, electricity and warm clothing.

      At least 24 people died Tuesday night in India's Uttar Pradesh state,
      pushing the death toll there to 128, Home Ministry officials said in
      Lucknow, the state's capital.

      +++++++++++

      There is fog here in N. Cal. in Redding. Very weird to have it this
      far inland.

      There is strike activity over the mountains in S. Cal. and cloud
      cover over the GOC.

      http://www.weatherimages.org/data/imag87.html

      The SOI is medium negative BUT BPs are very low in both areas.

      I note in this context CME is VERY low following a number of days of
      no activity and moderate earth directed moderately elevated proton
      content in the solar wind over the weekend. Flaring, as mentioned,
      has been non-existant for some time.

      This cold period is in context also, of the aftermath of Zoe and the
      EMF it brought and changed--see above analysis. IMHO TSs are
      extremely powerful and climate altering EMF events. As the Nature
      study of Felix examined, CO2 levels in the adjacent oceans were
      varied for a few weeks after it passed--which in my view is like a
      battery being run down and that gets expressed in terms of the
      electro chemistry of CO2 as an ion in the oceans.

      --- In methanehydrateclub@yahoogroups.com, "David <b1blancer1@e...>"
      <b1blancer1@e...> wrote:
      > --- In methanehydrateclub@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Doran <mike@u...>"
      > <mike@u...> wrote:
      > >

      > > According to the JTWC Tropical Cyclone Zoe set a new record for
      the
      > > lowest ever central pressure for a SPAC cyclone. I think the
      lowest
      > > actual figure I saw quoted was 876HPa. 876 millibars = 25.87
      inches.
      > > Tropical Cyclone Zoe ripped through the islands of Tikopia,
      Fataka
      > > and Anuta on Sunday, December 29 with winds exceeding 300
      kilometers
      > > an hour (186 mph) and massive waves. Initial damage reports
      indicate
      > > almost total devastation on the islands.DEC 2002
      > >

      > WOW!! That was one incredible storm. Remarkable. I don't think
      I've