Re: Zoe

  • David <b1blancer1@earthlink.net>
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 5, 2003
      --- In methanehydrateclub@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Doran <mike@u...>"
      <mike@u...> wrote:

      > According to the JTWC Tropical Cyclone Zoe set a new record for the
      > lowest ever central pressure for a SPAC cyclone. I think the lowest
      > actual figure I saw quoted was 876HPa. 876 millibars = 25.87 inches.
      > Tropical Cyclone Zoe ripped through the islands of Tikopia, Fataka
      > and Anuta on Sunday, December 29 with winds exceeding 300 kilometers
      > an hour (186 mph) and massive waves. Initial damage reports indicate
      > almost total devastation on the islands.DEC 2002

      WOW!! That was one incredible storm. Remarkable. I don't think I've
      ever seen a storm strengthen that fast.
    • Mike Doran <mike@usinter.net>
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 8, 2003
        http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/NaturalHazards/Archive/Jan2003/zoe_se
        a2002362_lrg.jpg

        If you get a chance to load this huge picture of Zoe it contains some
        fantastic imagery where you can see fair weather to convective
        voltages--Doran waves, once you get past the tropical aspects of the
        storm. If you take the first aspect of fair weather voltages -- to
        the right of the 'a' in Fatutaka which hooks NW and then SW and
        around the storm-- you can see the Doran waves. Understand over the
        eye itself there is huge negative voltages accumulated in the
        ionsphere. Then the disk over the major convective regions contains
        huge, therefore, positive voltages in the ionosphere which allows the
        cirrus to spin around the eye at great hieghts, aided by EMFs,
        without shorting by sprite or elve accross the attractive zone.

        As the storm becomes extra tropical, that is where I find the most
        compelling visual data for EMF activity and cloud dynamic behavior.
        In particular look at the Island of New Caledonia--how the blow off
        of the high clouds just to the NE of that island in the fair weather
        areas are directional away from Zoe's center and wispy in the way
        that you would see in a 60's glass electric ball you might find in
        people's bedroom. Then to the SW of the island, where either a
        combination of the island's mountains and thermal uplift or its EMF
        to ground cause the back side of the convective activity on the
        island to be enhanced such that this side of the island is fully fair
        weather with large voltages to ground. There is a similar effect
        with Vanuatu--although the EMF and upper level winds from Zoe are so
        powerful that the Doran wave banding is able to largely
        continue . . .

        During this period, again, the solar wind was strongly elevated from
        an earth directed CME.

        ++++++

        http://www.weather.com/newscenter/topstories/030108southasiadeaths.htm

        Hundreds die from the cold
        Wed, Jan. 08, 2003 9:18 AM ET

        By the Associated Press

        DHAKA, Bangladesh (AP) Nearly 400 people have died of cold in
        Bangladesh and northern India in the past 10 days as temperatures
        plummeted and cold winds swept in from the Himalayas, officials and
        news reports said Wednesday.

        The cold sweeping across northern Bangladesh caused 60 deaths this
        week, raising the toll to 260, media reports said.

        Temperatures dipped into the 30s and 40s Fahrenheit - dangerous
        levels in impoverished India and Bangladesh, where millions of people
        live without heat, electricity and warm clothing.

        At least 24 people died Tuesday night in India's Uttar Pradesh state,
        pushing the death toll there to 128, Home Ministry officials said in
        Lucknow, the state's capital.

        +++++++++++

        There is fog here in N. Cal. in Redding. Very weird to have it this
        far inland.

        There is strike activity over the mountains in S. Cal. and cloud
        cover over the GOC.

        http://www.weatherimages.org/data/imag87.html

        The SOI is medium negative BUT BPs are very low in both areas.

        I note in this context CME is VERY low following a number of days of
        no activity and moderate earth directed moderately elevated proton
        content in the solar wind over the weekend. Flaring, as mentioned,
        has been non-existant for some time.

        This cold period is in context also, of the aftermath of Zoe and the
        EMF it brought and changed--see above analysis. IMHO TSs are
        extremely powerful and climate altering EMF events. As the Nature
        study of Felix examined, CO2 levels in the adjacent oceans were
        varied for a few weeks after it passed--which in my view is like a
        battery being run down and that gets expressed in terms of the
        electro chemistry of CO2 as an ion in the oceans.

        --- In methanehydrateclub@yahoogroups.com, "David <b1blancer1@e...>"