Zoe

  • Mike Doran <mike@usinter.net>
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 5, 2003
      According to the JTWC Tropical Cyclone Zoe set a new record for the
      lowest ever central pressure for a SPAC cyclone. I think the lowest
      actual figure I saw quoted was 876HPa. 876 millibars = 25.87 inches.
      Tropical Cyclone Zoe ripped through the islands of Tikopia, Fataka
      and Anuta on Sunday, December 29 with winds exceeding 300 kilometers
      an hour (186 mph) and massive waves. Initial damage reports indicate
      almost total devastation on the islands.DEC 2002

      Cyclone ZOE
      ADV TIME KNOTS
      1 12/25/12Z 35
      2 12/26/00Z 55
      3 12/26/12Z 75
      4 12/27/00Z 95
      10 12/30/00Z 95
      11 12/30/12Z 75
      12 12/31/00Z 55
      13 12/31/12Z 55

      155 kts = 178 mph

      This was the most powerful storm of the year at its blow up matched
      that solar wind you noted, to include the Arizona sighting of
      northern lights . . .
    • David <b1blancer1@earthlink.net>
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 5, 2003
        --- In methanehydrateclub@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Doran <mike@u...>"
        <mike@u...> wrote:

        > According to the JTWC Tropical Cyclone Zoe set a new record for the
        > lowest ever central pressure for a SPAC cyclone. I think the lowest
        > actual figure I saw quoted was 876HPa. 876 millibars = 25.87 inches.
        > Tropical Cyclone Zoe ripped through the islands of Tikopia, Fataka
        > and Anuta on Sunday, December 29 with winds exceeding 300 kilometers
        > an hour (186 mph) and massive waves. Initial damage reports indicate
        > almost total devastation on the islands.DEC 2002

        WOW!! That was one incredible storm. Remarkable. I don't think I've
        ever seen a storm strengthen that fast.
      • Mike Doran <mike@usinter.net>
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 8, 2003
          http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/NaturalHazards/Archive/Jan2003/zoe_se
          a2002362_lrg.jpg

          If you get a chance to load this huge picture of Zoe it contains some
          fantastic imagery where you can see fair weather to convective
          voltages--Doran waves, once you get past the tropical aspects of the
          storm. If you take the first aspect of fair weather voltages -- to
          the right of the 'a' in Fatutaka which hooks NW and then SW and
          around the storm-- you can see the Doran waves. Understand over the
          eye itself there is huge negative voltages accumulated in the
          ionsphere. Then the disk over the major convective regions contains
          huge, therefore, positive voltages in the ionosphere which allows the
          cirrus to spin around the eye at great hieghts, aided by EMFs,
          without shorting by sprite or elve accross the attractive zone.

          As the storm becomes extra tropical, that is where I find the most
          compelling visual data for EMF activity and cloud dynamic behavior.
          In particular look at the Island of New Caledonia--how the blow off
          of the high clouds just to the NE of that island in the fair weather
          areas are directional away from Zoe's center and wispy in the way
          that you would see in a 60's glass electric ball you might find in
          people's bedroom. Then to the SW of the island, where either a
          combination of the island's mountains and thermal uplift or its EMF
          to ground cause the back side of the convective activity on the
          island to be enhanced such that this side of the island is fully fair
          weather with large voltages to ground. There is a similar effect
          with Vanuatu--although the EMF and upper level winds from Zoe are so
          powerful that the Doran wave banding is able to largely
          continue . . .

          During this period, again, the solar wind was strongly elevated from
          an earth directed CME.

          ++++++

          http://www.weather.com/newscenter/topstories/030108southasiadeaths.htm

          Hundreds die from the cold
          Wed, Jan. 08, 2003 9:18 AM ET

          By the Associated Press

          DHAKA, Bangladesh (AP) Nearly 400 people have died of cold in
          Bangladesh and northern India in the past 10 days as temperatures
          plummeted and cold winds swept in from the Himalayas, officials and
          news reports said Wednesday.

          The cold sweeping across northern Bangladesh caused 60 deaths this
          week, raising the toll to 260, media reports said.

          Temperatures dipped into the 30s and 40s Fahrenheit - dangerous
          levels in impoverished India and Bangladesh, where millions of people
          live without heat, electricity and warm clothing.

          At least 24 people died Tuesday night in India's Uttar Pradesh state,
          pushing the death toll there to 128, Home Ministry officials said in
          Lucknow, the state's capital.

          +++++++++++

          There is fog here in N. Cal. in Redding. Very weird to have it this
          far inland.

          There is strike activity over the mountains in S. Cal. and cloud
          cover over the GOC.

          http://www.weatherimages.org/data/imag87.html

          The SOI is medium negative BUT BPs are very low in both areas.

          I note in this context CME is VERY low following a number of days of
          no activity and moderate earth directed moderately elevated proton
          content in the solar wind over the weekend. Flaring, as mentioned,
          has been non-existant for some time.

          This cold period is in context also, of the aftermath of Zoe and the
          EMF it brought and changed--see above analysis. IMHO TSs are
          extremely powerful and climate altering EMF events. As the Nature
          study of Felix examined, CO2 levels in the adjacent oceans were
          varied for a few weeks after it passed--which in my view is like a
          battery being run down and that gets expressed in terms of the
          electro chemistry of CO2 as an ion in the oceans.

          --- In methanehydrateclub@yahoogroups.com, "David <b1blancer1@e...>"