  • David <b1blancer1@earthlink.net>
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2003
      HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

      The sunspot number and overall solar activity both remain quite low on
      this first day of 2003. As I mentioned before, if I didn't know
      better I would say we were close to the bottom of the sunspot cycle
      instead of five years away from it. If it weren't for some coronal
      hole activity, there would be absolutely nothing substantial to
      report. As it is, however, there is a small coronal hole that is now
      in an Earth-pointing position. High-speed solar wind gusts should be
      arriving on the 3rd or the 4th. Look for an aurora watch to be issued
      soon.

      IMF Orientation : 0.1 nT North

      Solar activity is expected to be very low to low.

      Geomagnetic activity forecast :
      The geomagnetic field is expected to be mostly unsettled for the next
      24 hours. An increase in geomagnetic activity is expected on the
      second and third days, with expected levels being unsettled to
      slightly active. The enhanced activity is predicted as a response to
      effects from a favorably positioned coronal hole.