Re: [Methane Hydrate Club] Re: El Nino causes heavy rains in Florida

  • mike
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 17, 2002
      In Northern Cal we are supposed to get average to below average rain--the
      storm you mention hit us here in Northern California-NOT S. Cal or the
      SOUTHWEST where they are supposed to get off the chart rain. What you
      are saying is flat wrong.

      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 18, 2002
        Well Hold on then:

        HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK
        NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE LOS ANGELES/OXNARD CA

        600 AM PST WED DEC 18 2002

        THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR SOUTHWESTERN CALIFORNIA.

        .DAY ONE...

        A FEW LINGERING SHOWERS WILL CONTINUE OVER THE CENTRAL COAST AND OVER
        THE MOUNTAINS. SNOW LEVEL WILL BE NEAR 4000 FEET. HIGH SURF WILL
        CONTINUE AT THE BEACHES WHERE 10 FOOT SETS WILL BE COMMON AND 13 FOOT
        SETS POSSIBLE.

        * HIGH SURF ADVISORY.........SEE FZUS76 KLOX - MWSLOX FOR DETAILS *

        .DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...

        A STRONG STORM WILL ARRIVE THURSDAY AFTERNOON AND LAST INTO FRIDAY
        MORNING. THERE WILL BE STRONG WINDS AND LOW SNOW LEVELS WITH THIS
        SYSTEM. ANOTHER STORM WILL ARRIVE LATE SATURDAY AND LAST INTO SUNDAY.

        * SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT..SEE WWUS86 KLOX - SPSLOX FOR DETAILS *

        .SPOTTER INFORMATION STATEMENT...

        WEATHER SPOTTERS ARE ENCOURAGED TO REPORT SIGNIFICANT WEATHER
        CONDITIONS ACCORDING TO STANDARD OPERATING PROCEDURES.

        $$

        SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT
        NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE LOS ANGELES/OXNARD CA

        5 AM PST WED DEC 18 2002

        ...ANOTHER MAJOR STORM TO AFFECT SOUTHERN AND CENTRAL CALIFORNIA
        ON THURSDAY AND THURSDAY NIGHT...

        A STRONG COLD FRONT WILL BRING ANOTHER ROUND OF HEAVY RAIN AND STRONG
        WINDS TO LOWER ELEVATIONS...AND WINTER WEATHER CONDITIONS TO THE
        MOUNTAINS THURSDAY AFTERNOON AND NIGHT. RAIN IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN
        ACROSS THE CENTRAL COAST MIDDAY THURSDAY...AND THEN SPREAD TO THE LOS
        ANGELES BASIN THURSDAY EVENING. RAIN IS EXPECTED TO BE HEAVY AT
        TIMES...ALONG WITH THE POSSIBILITY OF THUNDERSTORMS.

        PRELIMINARY RAINFALL AMOUNTS ARE EXPECTED TO RANGE BETWEEN ONE
        AND TWO INCHES ACROSS COASTAL AND VALLEY AREAS...WITH LOCAL THREE
        INCH AMOUNTS ACROSS OROGRAPHICALLY FAVORED AREAS...SUCH AS THE SANTA
        BARBARA COUNTY SOUTH COAST. FOOTHILL AND MOUNTAIN AREAS ARE EXPECTED
        TO RECEIVE TWO TO FOUR INCHES...WITH LOCAL AMOUNTS OVER 5 INCHES
        POSSIBLE ACROSS SOUTH FACING SLOPES...SUCH AS THE SANTA YNEZ RANGE.

        THIS ENERGETIC STORM SYSTEM IS EXPECTED TO BRING STRONG SOUTH
        TO SOUTHEAST WINDS AHEAD OF THE COLD FRONT. WIND ADVISORIES WILL
        LIKELY BE POSTED WITH THIS EVENT...ESPECIALLY ACROSS SAN LUIS OBISPO
        AND SANTA BARBARA COUNTIES...WHERE WIND GUSTS OF 40 TO 50 MPH WILL
        BE POSSIBLE. THE MOUNTAINS MAY REACH HIGH WIND WARNING THRESHOLDS...
        WHERE WIND GUSTS OF 60 TO 70 MPH WILL BE POSSIBLE.

        THE COMBINATION OF HEAVY SNOW AND STRONG WINDS WILL CREATE THE
        POTENTIAL FOR THE FIRST MAJOR WINTER STORM IN THE MOUNTAINS...
        WHERE A WINTER STORM WATCH WILL LIKELY NEED TO BE ISSUED. THE
        SNOW LEVEL IS EXPECTED TO START OUT AT 6000 FEET ON THURSDAY...
        THEN LOWER TO AROUND 5500 FEET THURSDAY NIGHT. PRELIMINARY SNOWFALL
        AMOUNTS ARE GENERALLY EXPECTED TO RANGE BETWEEN 12 AND 18 INCHES...
        BUT ELEVATIONS ABOVE 8000 FEET COULD EASILY ACCUMULATE OVER 24 INCHES.

        PLEASE STAY TUNED TO THE LATEST NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE
        FORECASTS AND STATEMENTS ON THIS DEVELOPING WINTER STORM.

        $$

        RORKE

        --- In methanehydrateclub@yahoogroups.com, "mike" <mike@u...> wrote:
        > In Northern Cal we are supposed to get average to below average
        rain--the
        > storm you mention hit us here in Northern California-NOT S. Cal or
        the
        > SOUTHWEST where they are supposed to get off the chart rain. What
        you
        > are saying is flat wrong.

        Florida