Re: El Nino causes heavy rains in Florida

  • fredwx1 <fredwx1@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 17, 2002
      <Here in California it remains fairly dry, especially for a so called
      > warm event.>

      Not any more:

      http://www.weather.com/newscenter/topstories/021216westernstorm.html

      --- In methanehydrateclub@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Doran <mike@u...>"
      <mike@u...> wrote:
      > I would rather say that the Gaia healthy GOM combined w/ some good
      > solar activity has caused some rain there.
      >
      > Here in California it remains fairly dry, especially for a so
      called
      > warm event.
      >
      > The GOC continues to be VERY Gaia poor.
      >
      > Consistant with this lull in CME/flaring forecast the SOI dipped
      down
      > to low neg readings and more interesting BPs in the trop Pac began
      > rise. The residual winds and currents will keep it neg for a few
      > days but if the pattern continues watch for a positive swing. The
      > lastest SSTs also show a weird yellow band in the red where El Nino
      > should be, again indicating that there is something extra
      electrical
      > going on with the Doran waves . . .
      >
      > Anyone who has studied ENSO will agree that a dry or normal dry SW
      is
      > completely inconsistant with the event.
      >
      > And its because climate is alive.
      >

      > --- In methanehydrateclub@yahoogroups.com, "fredwx1 <fredwx1@y...>"
      > <fredwx1@y...> wrote:
      > >
      > > We have received over 4 inches of rain in the past 36hrs and over
      6
      > > inches this month (normally the dry season). I suspect the El
      Nino
      > is
      > > making itself felt.
    • mike
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 17, 2002
        In Northern Cal we are supposed to get average to below average rain--the
        storm you mention hit us here in Northern California-NOT S. Cal or the
        SOUTHWEST where they are supposed to get off the chart rain. What you
        are saying is flat wrong.

      • fredwx1 <fredwx1@yahoo.com>
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 18, 2002
          Well Hold on then:

          HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK
          NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE LOS ANGELES/OXNARD CA

          600 AM PST WED DEC 18 2002

          THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR SOUTHWESTERN CALIFORNIA.

          .DAY ONE...

          A FEW LINGERING SHOWERS WILL CONTINUE OVER THE CENTRAL COAST AND OVER
          THE MOUNTAINS. SNOW LEVEL WILL BE NEAR 4000 FEET. HIGH SURF WILL
          CONTINUE AT THE BEACHES WHERE 10 FOOT SETS WILL BE COMMON AND 13 FOOT
          SETS POSSIBLE.

          * HIGH SURF ADVISORY.........SEE FZUS76 KLOX - MWSLOX FOR DETAILS *

          .DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...

          A STRONG STORM WILL ARRIVE THURSDAY AFTERNOON AND LAST INTO FRIDAY
          MORNING. THERE WILL BE STRONG WINDS AND LOW SNOW LEVELS WITH THIS
          SYSTEM. ANOTHER STORM WILL ARRIVE LATE SATURDAY AND LAST INTO SUNDAY.

          * SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT..SEE WWUS86 KLOX - SPSLOX FOR DETAILS *

          .SPOTTER INFORMATION STATEMENT...

          WEATHER SPOTTERS ARE ENCOURAGED TO REPORT SIGNIFICANT WEATHER
          CONDITIONS ACCORDING TO STANDARD OPERATING PROCEDURES.

          $$

          SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT
          NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE LOS ANGELES/OXNARD CA

          5 AM PST WED DEC 18 2002

          ...ANOTHER MAJOR STORM TO AFFECT SOUTHERN AND CENTRAL CALIFORNIA
          ON THURSDAY AND THURSDAY NIGHT...

          A STRONG COLD FRONT WILL BRING ANOTHER ROUND OF HEAVY RAIN AND STRONG
          WINDS TO LOWER ELEVATIONS...AND WINTER WEATHER CONDITIONS TO THE
          MOUNTAINS THURSDAY AFTERNOON AND NIGHT. RAIN IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN
          ACROSS THE CENTRAL COAST MIDDAY THURSDAY...AND THEN SPREAD TO THE LOS
          ANGELES BASIN THURSDAY EVENING. RAIN IS EXPECTED TO BE HEAVY AT
          TIMES...ALONG WITH THE POSSIBILITY OF THUNDERSTORMS.

          PRELIMINARY RAINFALL AMOUNTS ARE EXPECTED TO RANGE BETWEEN ONE
          AND TWO INCHES ACROSS COASTAL AND VALLEY AREAS...WITH LOCAL THREE
          INCH AMOUNTS ACROSS OROGRAPHICALLY FAVORED AREAS...SUCH AS THE SANTA
          BARBARA COUNTY SOUTH COAST. FOOTHILL AND MOUNTAIN AREAS ARE EXPECTED
          TO RECEIVE TWO TO FOUR INCHES...WITH LOCAL AMOUNTS OVER 5 INCHES
          POSSIBLE ACROSS SOUTH FACING SLOPES...SUCH AS THE SANTA YNEZ RANGE.

          THIS ENERGETIC STORM SYSTEM IS EXPECTED TO BRING STRONG SOUTH
          TO SOUTHEAST WINDS AHEAD OF THE COLD FRONT. WIND ADVISORIES WILL
          LIKELY BE POSTED WITH THIS EVENT...ESPECIALLY ACROSS SAN LUIS OBISPO
          AND SANTA BARBARA COUNTIES...WHERE WIND GUSTS OF 40 TO 50 MPH WILL
          BE POSSIBLE. THE MOUNTAINS MAY REACH HIGH WIND WARNING THRESHOLDS...
          WHERE WIND GUSTS OF 60 TO 70 MPH WILL BE POSSIBLE.

          THE COMBINATION OF HEAVY SNOW AND STRONG WINDS WILL CREATE THE
          POTENTIAL FOR THE FIRST MAJOR WINTER STORM IN THE MOUNTAINS...
          WHERE A WINTER STORM WATCH WILL LIKELY NEED TO BE ISSUED. THE
          SNOW LEVEL IS EXPECTED TO START OUT AT 6000 FEET ON THURSDAY...
          THEN LOWER TO AROUND 5500 FEET THURSDAY NIGHT. PRELIMINARY SNOWFALL
          AMOUNTS ARE GENERALLY EXPECTED TO RANGE BETWEEN 12 AND 18 INCHES...
          BUT ELEVATIONS ABOVE 8000 FEET COULD EASILY ACCUMULATE OVER 24 INCHES.

          PLEASE STAY TUNED TO THE LATEST NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE
          FORECASTS AND STATEMENTS ON THIS DEVELOPING WINTER STORM.

          $$

          RORKE

          --- In methanehydrateclub@yahoogroups.com, "mike" <mike@u...> wrote:
          > In Northern Cal we are supposed to get average to below average
          rain--the
          > storm you mention hit us here in Northern California-NOT S. Cal or
          the
          > SOUTHWEST where they are supposed to get off the chart rain. What
          you
          > are saying is flat wrong.

          Florida