Re: El Nino causes heavy rains in Florida

  • David <b1blancer1@earthlink.net>
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 10, 2002
      --- In methanehydrateclub@yahoogroups.com, "fredwx1 <fredwx1@y...>"
      <fredwx1@y...> wrote:

      > We have received over 4 inches of rain in the past 36hrs and over 6
      > inches this month (normally the dry season). I suspect the El Nino
      is
      > making itself felt.

      Are you still officially under drought conditions? They've pretty
      much declared the drought overwith in the Carolinas. A few areas are
      still listed as having an incipient(sp?) drought. I believe that's
      the mildest category??
    • Mike Doran <mike@usinter.net>
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 10, 2002
        I would rather say that the Gaia healthy GOM combined w/ some good
        solar activity has caused some rain there.

        Here in California it remains fairly dry, especially for a so called
        warm event.

        The GOC continues to be VERY Gaia poor.

        Consistant with this lull in CME/flaring forecast the SOI dipped down
        to low neg readings and more interesting BPs in the trop Pac began to
        rise. The residual winds and currents will keep it neg for a few
        days but if the pattern continues watch for a positive swing. The
        lastest SSTs also show a weird yellow band in the red where El Nino
        should be, again indicating that there is something extra electrical
        going on with the Doran waves . . .

        Anyone who has studied ENSO will agree that a dry or normal dry SW is
        completely inconsistant with the event.

        And its because climate is alive.

      • fredwx1 <fredwx1@yahoo.com>
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 17, 2002
          <Here in California it remains fairly dry, especially for a so called
          > warm event.>

          Not any more:

          http://www.weather.com/newscenter/topstories/021216westernstorm.html

          --- In methanehydrateclub@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Doran <mike@u...>"
          <mike@u...> wrote:
          > I would rather say that the Gaia healthy GOM combined w/ some good
          > solar activity has caused some rain there.
          >
          > Here in California it remains fairly dry, especially for a so
          called
          > warm event.
          >
          > The GOC continues to be VERY Gaia poor.
          >
          > Consistant with this lull in CME/flaring forecast the SOI dipped
          down
          > to low neg readings and more interesting BPs in the trop Pac began
          > rise. The residual winds and currents will keep it neg for a few
          > days but if the pattern continues watch for a positive swing. The
          > lastest SSTs also show a weird yellow band in the red where El Nino
          > should be, again indicating that there is something extra
          electrical
          > going on with the Doran waves . . .
          >
          > Anyone who has studied ENSO will agree that a dry or normal dry SW
          is
          > completely inconsistant with the event.
          >
          > And its because climate is alive.
          >

          > --- In methanehydrateclub@yahoogroups.com, "fredwx1 <fredwx1@y...>"
          > <fredwx1@y...> wrote:
          > >
          > > We have received over 4 inches of rain in the past 36hrs and over
          6
          > > inches this month (normally the dry season). I suspect the El
          Nino
          > is
          > > making itself felt.
        • mike
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 17, 2002
            In Northern Cal we are supposed to get average to below average rain--the
            storm you mention hit us here in Northern California-NOT S. Cal or the
            SOUTHWEST where they are supposed to get off the chart rain. What you
            are saying is flat wrong.

          • fredwx1 <fredwx1@yahoo.com>
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 18, 2002
              Well Hold on then:

              HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK
              NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE LOS ANGELES/OXNARD CA

              600 AM PST WED DEC 18 2002

              THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR SOUTHWESTERN CALIFORNIA.

              .DAY ONE...

              A FEW LINGERING SHOWERS WILL CONTINUE OVER THE CENTRAL COAST AND OVER
              THE MOUNTAINS. SNOW LEVEL WILL BE NEAR 4000 FEET. HIGH SURF WILL
              CONTINUE AT THE BEACHES WHERE 10 FOOT SETS WILL BE COMMON AND 13 FOOT
              SETS POSSIBLE.

              * HIGH SURF ADVISORY.........SEE FZUS76 KLOX - MWSLOX FOR DETAILS *

              .DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...

              A STRONG STORM WILL ARRIVE THURSDAY AFTERNOON AND LAST INTO FRIDAY
              MORNING. THERE WILL BE STRONG WINDS AND LOW SNOW LEVELS WITH THIS
              SYSTEM. ANOTHER STORM WILL ARRIVE LATE SATURDAY AND LAST INTO SUNDAY.

              * SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT..SEE WWUS86 KLOX - SPSLOX FOR DETAILS *

              .SPOTTER INFORMATION STATEMENT...

              WEATHER SPOTTERS ARE ENCOURAGED TO REPORT SIGNIFICANT WEATHER
              CONDITIONS ACCORDING TO STANDARD OPERATING PROCEDURES.

              $$

              SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT
              NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE LOS ANGELES/OXNARD CA

              5 AM PST WED DEC 18 2002

              ...ANOTHER MAJOR STORM TO AFFECT SOUTHERN AND CENTRAL CALIFORNIA
              ON THURSDAY AND THURSDAY NIGHT...

              A STRONG COLD FRONT WILL BRING ANOTHER ROUND OF HEAVY RAIN AND STRONG
              WINDS TO LOWER ELEVATIONS...AND WINTER WEATHER CONDITIONS TO THE
              MOUNTAINS THURSDAY AFTERNOON AND NIGHT. RAIN IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN
              ACROSS THE CENTRAL COAST MIDDAY THURSDAY...AND THEN SPREAD TO THE LOS
              ANGELES BASIN THURSDAY EVENING. RAIN IS EXPECTED TO BE HEAVY AT
              TIMES...ALONG WITH THE POSSIBILITY OF THUNDERSTORMS.

              PRELIMINARY RAINFALL AMOUNTS ARE EXPECTED TO RANGE BETWEEN ONE
              AND TWO INCHES ACROSS COASTAL AND VALLEY AREAS...WITH LOCAL THREE
              INCH AMOUNTS ACROSS OROGRAPHICALLY FAVORED AREAS...SUCH AS THE SANTA
              BARBARA COUNTY SOUTH COAST. FOOTHILL AND MOUNTAIN AREAS ARE EXPECTED
              TO RECEIVE TWO TO FOUR INCHES...WITH LOCAL AMOUNTS OVER 5 INCHES
              POSSIBLE ACROSS SOUTH FACING SLOPES...SUCH AS THE SANTA YNEZ RANGE.

              THIS ENERGETIC STORM SYSTEM IS EXPECTED TO BRING STRONG SOUTH
              TO SOUTHEAST WINDS AHEAD OF THE COLD FRONT. WIND ADVISORIES WILL
              LIKELY BE POSTED WITH THIS EVENT...ESPECIALLY ACROSS SAN LUIS OBISPO
              AND SANTA BARBARA COUNTIES...WHERE WIND GUSTS OF 40 TO 50 MPH WILL
              BE POSSIBLE. THE MOUNTAINS MAY REACH HIGH WIND WARNING THRESHOLDS...
              WHERE WIND GUSTS OF 60 TO 70 MPH WILL BE POSSIBLE.

              THE COMBINATION OF HEAVY SNOW AND STRONG WINDS WILL CREATE THE
              POTENTIAL FOR THE FIRST MAJOR WINTER STORM IN THE MOUNTAINS...
              WHERE A WINTER STORM WATCH WILL LIKELY NEED TO BE ISSUED. THE
              SNOW LEVEL IS EXPECTED TO START OUT AT 6000 FEET ON THURSDAY...
              THEN LOWER TO AROUND 5500 FEET THURSDAY NIGHT. PRELIMINARY SNOWFALL
              AMOUNTS ARE GENERALLY EXPECTED TO RANGE BETWEEN 12 AND 18 INCHES...
              BUT ELEVATIONS ABOVE 8000 FEET COULD EASILY ACCUMULATE OVER 24 INCHES.

              PLEASE STAY TUNED TO THE LATEST NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE
              FORECASTS AND STATEMENTS ON THIS DEVELOPING WINTER STORM.

              $$

              RORKE

              --- In methanehydrateclub@yahoogroups.com, "mike" <mike@u...> wrote:
              > In Northern Cal we are supposed to get average to below average
              rain--the
              > storm you mention hit us here in Northern California-NOT S. Cal or
              the
              > SOUTHWEST where they are supposed to get off the chart rain. What
              you
              > are saying is flat wrong.

              Florida