El Nino causes heavy rains in Florida

  • fredwx1 <fredwx1@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 10, 2002
      We have received over 4 inches of rain in the past 36hrs and over 6
      inches this month (normally the dry season). I suspect the El Nino is
      making itself felt.
    • David <b1blancer1@earthlink.net>
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 10, 2002
        --- In methanehydrateclub@yahoogroups.com, "fredwx1 <fredwx1@y...>"
        <fredwx1@y...> wrote:

        > We have received over 4 inches of rain in the past 36hrs and over 6
        > inches this month (normally the dry season). I suspect the El Nino
        is
        > making itself felt.

        Are you still officially under drought conditions? They've pretty
        much declared the drought overwith in the Carolinas. A few areas are
        still listed as having an incipient(sp?) drought. I believe that's
        the mildest category??
      • Mike Doran <mike@usinter.net>
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 10, 2002
          I would rather say that the Gaia healthy GOM combined w/ some good
          solar activity has caused some rain there.

          Here in California it remains fairly dry, especially for a so called
          warm event.

          The GOC continues to be VERY Gaia poor.

          Consistant with this lull in CME/flaring forecast the SOI dipped down
          to low neg readings and more interesting BPs in the trop Pac began to
          rise. The residual winds and currents will keep it neg for a few
          days but if the pattern continues watch for a positive swing. The
          lastest SSTs also show a weird yellow band in the red where El Nino
          should be, again indicating that there is something extra electrical
          going on with the Doran waves . . .

          Anyone who has studied ENSO will agree that a dry or normal dry SW is
          completely inconsistant with the event.

          And its because climate is alive.

        • fredwx1 <fredwx1@yahoo.com>
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 17, 2002
            <Here in California it remains fairly dry, especially for a so called
            > warm event.>

            Not any more:

            http://www.weather.com/newscenter/topstories/021216westernstorm.html

            --- In methanehydrateclub@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Doran <mike@u...>"
            <mike@u...> wrote:
            > I would rather say that the Gaia healthy GOM combined w/ some good
            > solar activity has caused some rain there.
            >
            > Here in California it remains fairly dry, especially for a so
            called
            > warm event.
            >
            > The GOC continues to be VERY Gaia poor.
            >
            > Consistant with this lull in CME/flaring forecast the SOI dipped
            down
            > to low neg readings and more interesting BPs in the trop Pac began
            > rise. The residual winds and currents will keep it neg for a few
            > days but if the pattern continues watch for a positive swing. The
            > lastest SSTs also show a weird yellow band in the red where El Nino
            > should be, again indicating that there is something extra
            electrical
            > going on with the Doran waves . . .
            >
            > Anyone who has studied ENSO will agree that a dry or normal dry SW
            is
            > completely inconsistant with the event.
            >
            > And its because climate is alive.
            >

            > --- In methanehydrateclub@yahoogroups.com, "fredwx1 <fredwx1@y...>"
            > <fredwx1@y...> wrote:
            > >
            > > We have received over 4 inches of rain in the past 36hrs and over
            6
            > > inches this month (normally the dry season). I suspect the El
            Nino
            > is
            > > making itself felt.
          • mike
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 17, 2002
              In Northern Cal we are supposed to get average to below average rain--the
              storm you mention hit us here in Northern California-NOT S. Cal or the
              SOUTHWEST where they are supposed to get off the chart rain. What you
              are saying is flat wrong.

            • fredwx1 <fredwx1@yahoo.com>
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 18, 2002
                Well Hold on then:

                HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK
                NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE LOS ANGELES/OXNARD CA

                600 AM PST WED DEC 18 2002

                THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR SOUTHWESTERN CALIFORNIA.

                .DAY ONE...

                A FEW LINGERING SHOWERS WILL CONTINUE OVER THE CENTRAL COAST AND OVER
                THE MOUNTAINS. SNOW LEVEL WILL BE NEAR 4000 FEET. HIGH SURF WILL
                CONTINUE AT THE BEACHES WHERE 10 FOOT SETS WILL BE COMMON AND 13 FOOT
                SETS POSSIBLE.

                * HIGH SURF ADVISORY.........SEE FZUS76 KLOX - MWSLOX FOR DETAILS *

                .DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...

                A STRONG STORM WILL ARRIVE THURSDAY AFTERNOON AND LAST INTO FRIDAY
                MORNING. THERE WILL BE STRONG WINDS AND LOW SNOW LEVELS WITH THIS
                SYSTEM. ANOTHER STORM WILL ARRIVE LATE SATURDAY AND LAST INTO SUNDAY.

                * SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT..SEE WWUS86 KLOX - SPSLOX FOR DETAILS *

                .SPOTTER INFORMATION STATEMENT...

                WEATHER SPOTTERS ARE ENCOURAGED TO REPORT SIGNIFICANT WEATHER
                CONDITIONS ACCORDING TO STANDARD OPERATING PROCEDURES.

                $$

                SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT
                NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE LOS ANGELES/OXNARD CA

                5 AM PST WED DEC 18 2002

                ...ANOTHER MAJOR STORM TO AFFECT SOUTHERN AND CENTRAL CALIFORNIA
                ON THURSDAY AND THURSDAY NIGHT...

                A STRONG COLD FRONT WILL BRING ANOTHER ROUND OF HEAVY RAIN AND STRONG
                WINDS TO LOWER ELEVATIONS...AND WINTER WEATHER CONDITIONS TO THE
                MOUNTAINS THURSDAY AFTERNOON AND NIGHT. RAIN IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN
                ACROSS THE CENTRAL COAST MIDDAY THURSDAY...AND THEN SPREAD TO THE LOS
                ANGELES BASIN THURSDAY EVENING. RAIN IS EXPECTED TO BE HEAVY AT
                TIMES...ALONG WITH THE POSSIBILITY OF THUNDERSTORMS.

                PRELIMINARY RAINFALL AMOUNTS ARE EXPECTED TO RANGE BETWEEN ONE
                AND TWO INCHES ACROSS COASTAL AND VALLEY AREAS...WITH LOCAL THREE
                INCH AMOUNTS ACROSS OROGRAPHICALLY FAVORED AREAS...SUCH AS THE SANTA
                BARBARA COUNTY SOUTH COAST. FOOTHILL AND MOUNTAIN AREAS ARE EXPECTED
                TO RECEIVE TWO TO FOUR INCHES...WITH LOCAL AMOUNTS OVER 5 INCHES
                POSSIBLE ACROSS SOUTH FACING SLOPES...SUCH AS THE SANTA YNEZ RANGE.

                THIS ENERGETIC STORM SYSTEM IS EXPECTED TO BRING STRONG SOUTH
                TO SOUTHEAST WINDS AHEAD OF THE COLD FRONT. WIND ADVISORIES WILL
                LIKELY BE POSTED WITH THIS EVENT...ESPECIALLY ACROSS SAN LUIS OBISPO
                AND SANTA BARBARA COUNTIES...WHERE WIND GUSTS OF 40 TO 50 MPH WILL
                BE POSSIBLE. THE MOUNTAINS MAY REACH HIGH WIND WARNING THRESHOLDS...
                WHERE WIND GUSTS OF 60 TO 70 MPH WILL BE POSSIBLE.

                THE COMBINATION OF HEAVY SNOW AND STRONG WINDS WILL CREATE THE
                POTENTIAL FOR THE FIRST MAJOR WINTER STORM IN THE MOUNTAINS...
                WHERE A WINTER STORM WATCH WILL LIKELY NEED TO BE ISSUED. THE
                SNOW LEVEL IS EXPECTED TO START OUT AT 6000 FEET ON THURSDAY...
                THEN LOWER TO AROUND 5500 FEET THURSDAY NIGHT. PRELIMINARY SNOWFALL
                AMOUNTS ARE GENERALLY EXPECTED TO RANGE BETWEEN 12 AND 18 INCHES...
                BUT ELEVATIONS ABOVE 8000 FEET COULD EASILY ACCUMULATE OVER 24 INCHES.

                PLEASE STAY TUNED TO THE LATEST NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE
                FORECASTS AND STATEMENTS ON THIS DEVELOPING WINTER STORM.

                $$

                RORKE

                --- In methanehydrateclub@yahoogroups.com, "mike" <mike@u...> wrote:
                > In Northern Cal we are supposed to get average to below average
                rain--the
                > storm you mention hit us here in Northern California-NOT S. Cal or
                the
                > SOUTHWEST where they are supposed to get off the chart rain. What
                you
                > are saying is flat wrong.

                Florida